Pressure sensitive valve.

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Authundir

Pressure sensitive valve.

Post by Authundir » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:41 am

I have been looking around for a rather specific part and have been unable to find it and would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

The part in question is a sort of pressure relief valve that will release all the pressure in a space when it hits a certain pressure (eg: when it reaches 90 psi it would bring the pressure back down to 0 psi at a speed similar to a ball valve)

I would like to know if such a part exists and, if so, where I might obtain one.

thanks,
Authundir
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

Silence

Re: Pressure sensitive valve.

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:40 am

What's your plan for resetting the valve to the closed position afterward? This part makes the problem nontrivial.

These devices are sold as pop off valves. I've attached a diagram of how you could build something similar; it won't go all the way down to zero PSI, but you could get close, if the inlet bore is much smaller than the larger bore. It's probably hard to build, though.

A burst disk would work well as a one-time deal. I'm not a fan of disposable pieces, though.
Attachments
popopen-valve.png