An idea for a homemade

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
CROC

An idea for a homemade

Post by CROC » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 am

I was thinking a while ago, that it would be cool to make something like the gun below, from Star Wars Republic commandos
Where you see the wierd yellow things is where the resevoir would be. The gun would be CPS, but the gun would need to be a low pump style gun, as it is the Star wars version of a shot gun. The fast connect hose connections from Gardena or other companies could be modified so that when pulled past a certain point, it would release the resevoir. The pump would be complex, as you can see in the picture below, as it goes over the resevoir, making it difficult to create.
A ball valve with a modified release and a homemade trigger (and closing of the valve) could be made with a brass ball valve, metal, rubber bands, and PVC. You could change the spray so that it is wider spread, or highly accurate (this is still in "planning" so i dont have any pictures- this is all coming from the head).
Another idea by CROC
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:30 am

I suppose it's possible, and the only reason I'm not criticizing another attempt at imitating a game or real gun is because this might be an introduction to homemades in which the tubing uses up width by having horizontal parts, as opposed to being restricted to one plane. It will require a creative design and it might be tough to implement, but having it would be cool--even unmolded and unpainted.

Requiring a narrow PC casing is a great excuse to use narrow LRT for more power! I have a few designs in my head, but all of them would have proportions that really wouldn't work for this--even though might be nice stand-alone. Perhaps sealing the pump tube into larger pipe used for a reservoir that curls around could be done...and that would be neat indeed. I'll put in some more thought and description in the morning.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks for the fast response, and I really look forwards to making this, as it would be my first homemade. It would be very simple, and look double barreled, and it could be, if you made 2 PCs instead of just 1. They could both operate on the same trigger mech too, if positioned correctly. You could also put a strong spring at the end of the PC, making it similar, but not exactly like a splat blaster (same PC style)
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:11 pm

So this is what I'm thinking now (last night, I was just coming up with variations of the same excessively complex design):

The pump is on the left side, as it is in your pictures from the game. To help reduce the amount of tubing that would get in the way and change the shape, it should be a semi-displacement pump: the outflow goes through a tee that lies closed to where the pump rod enters the pump tube. A small metal check valve lies in the pump-to-barrel connector. The other side of the pump ends in the first check valve, and the whole pump tube (except for the tee I mentioned above) is inside 3" tubing. The 3" tubing is the reservoir, with an endcap with a hole drilled in it for the pump tube to come out of; it curls around and runs parallel to itself, thus increasing the capacity. The PC case is 3" tubing on the right side, and it looks like a continuation of the reservoir part on the right side.

That was a complex and meandering description, but I hope it gets the point across. Also, the inner layer of LRT has an ID of 1/4", which is small but allows the entire thing to fit inside 3" PVC as opposed to 4". You could use only one or two layers to make it weak enough for a 3/4" pump (if it's a shotgun, range doesn't really matter), and for any pump a track would be ideal. Finally, you could just use 2" PVC for the left side of the reservoir and allow 3" for the handle (which would connect to the end of the pump rod at the end). It would be an easy matter to do the pump handle.

You will have noticed that the barrel will now be on the left side of the soaker. You can leave it like that, or you could have the barrel in the middle since a shotgun doesn't really need laminar flow. No laminar flow leaves you a ton of options--namely a better choice of trigger valves, such as a homemade pull valve or a modified solenoid to be connected to the trigger. Also, the space between the two soaker halves leaves a lot of space for a trigger system if you choose to do one.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:49 am

You will have noticed that the barrel will now be on the left side of the soaker.
Actually, you could make a laminar flow by putting a tee where the PC is, then having a ball valve and a false nozzle, so that it looks like it has 2 barrels but it only has one that works. It would also make it look alot more like the game (the connector is PVC with a hole drilled in it to connect to the ball valve, yet is connected into a hole in the other "fake" nozzle.
Also, the space between the two soaker halves leaves a lot of space for a trigger system if you choose to do one.
I'm trying to make this as small as possible, so that im not carrying a bulky homemade around, and if I'm not going for bulky, I would want to put check valves, etc. into the resevoir, and modifying tees and elbows to make it as small as possible. I probably won't get the threaded tees/elbows and check valves (I'm looking for a spring loaded check valve in Canada), so that I can just stick it together with PVC cement and primer. I'm making the pump out of 3/4" because I have lots of it left, after making a 6" model rocket with it (I bought about 10ft.), so I have plenty for pumps, etc. I would need to buy 1/2" check valves, or get reducers from 1"-3/4", so that the pump will work well. I could probably make the interior of the resevoir like an old soaker, with the tube sucking the water to the PC, and using a nipple for such a task.
Finally, you could just use 2" PVC for the left side of the reservoir and allow 3" for the handle (which would connect to the end of the pump rod at the end)
I could use 3" PVC for the PC and 2" for the reservoir, making the gun a mere 5 3/4" wide, and varying heights for each side. The gun, without the pump handle would be about as wide as a mouse pad. The gun would be about 7" with the pump(nothing to grip though). With the pump handle, I could use a bike handle grip, or wear a glove with good grip on a PVC about 4 1/2" long, connected to the 3" connected to the shaft. The shaft would be straight, and the resevoir would have a screw-off endcap so that you can fill it when you're out of water (or you could make a backpack and use fast connecting hose things (as suggested in this thread, to fix my CPS 3000.http://forums.sscentral.org/t3921/)
the inner layer of LRT has an ID of 1/4", which is small but allows the entire thing to fit inside 3" PVC as opposed to 4". You could use only one or two layers to make it weak enough for a 3/4" pump
I think I will go for just 1 layer for now, but here's a question: Is latex tubing the same as LRT/surgical tubing? Because mr.dude found some latex tubing, if it's the same, then I can just use that, and cut the cost of tubing. If not, I will need to get someone to purchase it for me, as my debit card will probably not work. As I am looking at Mcmaster carr, if I only want 1 foot of the LRT, it would only cost about $.95 canadian, without shipping and handling, and taxes. I could then make some of the gun, but most would have to wait until i get paid for working at my dad's company. I only get about $12 a month for delivering the paper, so I am considering quitting and working at Little Ceasars or somewhere like that, making at least minimum wage, to get money to do this. I might even have to wait until i get a credit card (4+ years, depending on the minimum age). I could have the gun almost completely assembled by then, and just for hell of it, I would paint it black, to make it look nice, as opposed to the white PVC with writing on it.
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:50 pm

The nozzle options are flexible if you're going with my design, so it's entirely up to you. I would, however, implement a simple trigger system for both functionality and for looks.

Remember, the pump is tracked and has 3" PVC going over the 2" reservoir--this makes the gun more symmetrical. The part of the reservoir that goes on the other side uses a 3" reducer for size and symmetry. The pump PVC uses the space between the two halves of the gun, and something can be put inside if the ID is too large.

Remember, you'll want to use 1/4" ID LRT for an expanded ID of a little over 2"; otherwise, it would require at least 4" PVC to cover the expanded bladder. Even with a very thick chamber, it's unlikely an ID of 1/4" will make the bladder hit the walls when it has expanded. You'll probably want to buy 1/4" tubing to go with the hose barb and barrel (a narrow barrel, but still perfectly functional) from a plumbing store, and since PVC is so cheap, you might still want to buy 1/2" tubing for the pump anyway--it cost me $1.75 US, including tax, for 5 feet of 1/2" PVC. Trust me, you won't regret the decision--and it will last you quite a while.

Are there any suggestions from other members?

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Hmm...coincidentally, I just played Star Wars Republic Commandos for the first time yesterday. I can't believe I ever compared Star Wars Battlefront to Halo--this is far more similar to Halo in terms of gameplay. Battlefront is primarily a team-based and perhaps tactical shooter in comparison.

Anyway, I did notice the shotgun pretty much as soon as I saw it, but they called it an Array Gun or something like that. It's a very nice weapon because it has shotgun power with relatively low reload time, and I'm pretty sure it's effective at medium range as well as up close. Definitely a comfort weapon when you're sneaking through dark tunnels and when an enemy could pop up at any time--especially since it was multiplayer.

And back on topic, the gun is still a little different from what I had expected. It's not nearly so wide or large as the pictures made me think, but that isn't too much of a problem. Also, the two barrels are fairly small and close together, and there also happen to be a ton of finer things that simple pictures just can't illustrate.

I would still go with the design layout I suggested for both looks and functionality, and basically the only thing I have to say is that I pretty much agree with the false nozzle thing. It's a desperately pointless (nice phrase, that :p ) addition that probably does more harm than good, but it's still worth a shot. You'll need to have a tee in the tubing that connects the pump and the barrel as well as the tee to the ball valve and the real nozzle, and if you want you can use some more fittings to space the nozzles further apart. Of course, the left nozzle will have to be in front of the extended pump rod.

Also, you can use 3" PVC to cover up the rod and the thin secondary rod that connects to the 3" PVC pump handle. To get all the water out of the reservoir, I'd use hosing taped or glued to the bottom of the reservoir; but PVC would be okay if it's required.

And as an alternate idea, you could cut the hole in the reservoir that the pump tube goes through somewhere on the side, perhaps closer to the outside and bottom. That would let you cut another hole for 1/2" PVC, and that tubing would go to the front of the blaster. It would have a male adapter and female threaded endcaps and would actually serve as the false nozzle, and you can use that to fill the soaker! (Filling was a problem I had been looking for a solution to, and I guess this works. A tee in between the 90 degree elbows of the tank would make the thing too wide, and if you'll have to cut some of the PVC to make an accessible hole, then why not this?)

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:16 pm

The picture (the second one) is a zoomed in screen shot, but I agree that the first picture makes the gun look fat. The gun in the game is the ACP ARRAY GUN, for anyone who wants to know
-Croc

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:57 pm

sorry about double post, but I realized that nobody else is posting in this topic. Is this because they think that it is not possible, or is it becausee they just have no input/feedback on these ideas? If someone other than SilentGuy would post, then it would be nice to hear what other people think.
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 am

Probably because there isn't much left to talk about for the present. Perhaps when something interesting (such as starting the project from one of us) turns up...

Please don't BUMP threads unless there's an update or something. They die because there's a lack of interest, and it's unlikely the interest will be renewed just due to BUMPing. Only a tip, of course. ;)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:31 pm

I did try to suggest homemades in more than one plane a while back, but it was shrugged off to a certain extent.

But if you think you can get it to work, then it should be damn cool.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:39 pm

I may be limited to not starting until about 4 years from now, as I cannot order LRT for the PC (unless someone else can get and send to me for a cheque or something), as I cannot order anything from american online stores with a canadian debit card, and I would need to wait until I'm 18 for one of those.
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:42 pm

@ joannaardway: Are you referring to your old idea for a ton of PCs next to each other? That was a cool design IMO, but it would be fairly heavy, yet powerful. Perhaps it would be more like a stationary or turret gun, especially if the user would need a smaller pump than normal in order to pressurize it.

If anything, I would probably start to build a horizontally-spreading homemade without the limitations of the ACP Array Gun. In other words, I might go with a more flexible and perhaps a more feasible design first.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:56 am

Yes, that was more or less it.

I was planning on constructing my PCgH like that, with 4 seperate chambers (two down each side), but perhaps not how you see it.

I need to create a diagram, otherwise I'll forget eventually.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

13lack-ace

Might work

Post by 13lack-ace » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:58 am

I think is probably possible, I have never tryed to make a water gun. I myself have only made massive potato cannons. so if you want any tips on Pressurized Air Cannons i could help you out.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

''America loves a winner, and will not tolerate a loser, this is why America has never, and will never, lose a war.”