homemade pvc super soaker instructions?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
momx3

homemade pvc super soaker instructions?

Post by momx3 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 pm

Hello Super Soaker People!

Take it easy on me! I am just a mom trying to figure out how to make a homemade PVC Super Soaker to use on an upcoming river rafting trip. I am the lucky (?) coordinator of my daughter's soccer team's annual river rafting :eek: trip and, as a novice, I am in need of VERY COMPLETE instructions for the girls to be able to construct their water guns. In the past we have used the Stream Machine, but quickly found that we were on the losing end of the water battles when faced with the homemade variety. Does anyone out there have very detailed instructions (pictures are also helpful) for me to be able to help these girls? Our trip is on August 19th, so time is of the essence.

Thank you in advance for your support! It is greatly appreciated!

Striker

Post by Striker » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:46 pm

Hmm..I am new, but it couldn't hurt to help..

Check the main site.
This (http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/aph.php) is your best bet. The pumps for the gun can be found here: (http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/pumps.php)

If not, if you have pressurized water there and hoses, you might want the design Ben has, which he might scan in for us. It's like a homemade CPS Zooka.

If you are looking for cheap guns, then homemades are probably not the first thing you want. The simple Zooka costs 60 dollars for 3 guns, and takes alot more time gathering, testing, and making than a simple Defender. (9.99, although they are not recommended)

However, if you want to OBLITERATE the competition, HM's are your best bet. They have awesome output, high power, and huge reserviors.

It seems you want a whole fleet of Homemades, it would be hard to build all of these by the 19th.
Last edited by Striker on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:46 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

We've got loads of homemade water gun information on our website. The most detailed guide you'll find however is the basic "Air pressure homemade" water gun design.

That page is not step-by-step however. Building is incredibly straightforward however. The labled diagram displays everything you need to know.

One part that is up to debate in the construction is the pump. Most people use a metal rod with an O-ring on the end held on by rolls of electrical tape on each side. I use a wooden rod with a knotch for the O-ring - the wood absorbs the water and expands, making a good tight seal. What is described in the pumps article that should be linked from the page above is the first style I mentioned.

Hopefully you'll construct a lot of these water guns and win the battle! :)

(This thread also has been moved to our homemade water guns forum.)

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Actually, relatively recently we had a couple of active members interested in homemade river guns. It's incredibly simple, but if you want something with its own water reservoir, I can provide a brief description of a PPP (PVC piston pumper).

I like the pump design that uses electrical tape not only because the O-ring is less likely to pop out (well, that's actually up for debate) but also because the pump rod doesn't wobble as much inside the pump tube. However, both methods are fine, and it depends on which materials you have on hand and which method you're more comfortable with. Make sure the OD of the O-ring is a good bit larger than the ID of the PVC tube; and also, PVC tube IDs (for Schedule 40 PVC) are larger than their names, so a 1/2" rod can comfortably fit inside 1/2" tubing. However, you should probably use a 3/4" pump since it's less work to pump and since you don't need to build up that much pressure...

PPPs are pretty much homemades that don't have pressure chambers (PCs) and that don't have ball valves. With PPPs, it's pretty easy to have an on-gun reservoir...

waterzooka

Post by waterzooka » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:41 am

momx3 wrote:Hello Super Soaker People!

Take it easy on me! I am just a mom trying to figure out how to make a homemade PVC Super Soaker to use on an upcoming river rafting trip. I am the lucky (?) coordinator of my daughter's soccer team's annual river rafting :eek: trip and, as a novice, I am in need of VERY COMPLETE instructions for the girls to be able to construct their water guns. In the past we have used the Stream Machine, but quickly found that we were on the losing end of the water battles when faced with the homemade variety. Does anyone out there have very detailed instructions (pictures are also helpful) for me to be able to help these girls? Our trip is on August 19th, so time is of the essence.

Thank you in advance for your support! It is greatly appreciated!
I'm sure your rafting trip has passed, but never too late to plan for next year. Check out http://www.waterzooka.com for very detailed instructions (and a special O-Ring for the seal) on how to "Build your Own".

We also have Fund Raiser Kits, so your soccer champs can make some extra cash for uniforms, etc.