help with gun

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Sanityjr

help with gun

Post by Sanityjr » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:27 pm

Ok a little while back i made my first homemade nerf gun. It is made out of 1" pvc and can shoot a dart up to 250 feet if I turn my 3/4" metal ball valve fast enough. Well then on the nerf website they talked about a douchenator so I looked it op on google and it led me here. Well after seeing the skematics for the douchenator I attemped to make a 3" pvc attachment. Well I put all the pieces together but didn't (and I'm too lazy to add the apostrophe, and I, the admin like changing other peoples post!) glue it together today, so I took it for a test run. Either I need to make a whole new gun that uses a 1 and 1/4" valve or something because it barely made it out of the barrel. Could someone please tell me where I went wrong. Help would be apreciated.

Edit: ha ha ha...... nice try, trying to edit my post, eh?
well This little piggy won't (and I'm too lazy to add the apostrophe!) be overpowered without a stern talking to :)

Double Edit: oh yeah nice word filter you have going there, kind of like if you were to write sniper, it shows up as LOSER on nerfhaven :)
Last edited by Sanityjr on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01 pm

How big is your PC? It will need to be much larger than a nerf PC, and use a much bigger size than 1" PVC, unless your PC is several feet long.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:16 pm

In order to make a full hybrid nerf/water balloon launcher, the pc [air chamber in nerf terminology] has to be at least 2" PVC, best if 2.5" or 3". Your ball valve size also won't let the air get out quick enough, so I would recommend a valve of at least 1". With a large enough pc and valve, it will be able to support a 1/2" nerf barrel and larger barrels for water balloons and other objects. My friend and I had an idea of shooting a foam pool noodle out of ours, making that a giant dart!
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:25 am

If you are looking for a good water balloon launcher and homemade Nerf dart gun design, look no further than my brother's homemade Nerf gun. Design something similar and you can make a very good water balloon launcher. I myself am considering working with him on a slightly more reliable system that uses big rubber disks like the Super Soaker valves as opposed to smaller O-rings. The rubber disks will make a much easier seal and also take less work to construct, however, they will cost many times more money (maybe $5 each). The rubber disks I am considering at the moment are Buna-N U-Cups on McMaster.com.

Triggered homemade Nerf guns are completely possible and people should catch up by now. ;)
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanityjr

Post by Sanityjr » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:34 am

well I guess by the looks of it, I need to make a bigger air supply, but there was a major problem. I tried to make it so that The tubing would go from 3" to 1 and 1/4" but either I couldn't find a part or something, because I couldn't reduce it down so I re-used my other gun because i could reduce it to 3/4 inch

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:58 am

Just check another store. Also, if you can't find a 3" to 1 1/4" reducer, find other parts that gradually do it, like a 1 1/4" to 2" reducer and a 2" to 3" reducer.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Sanityjr

Post by Sanityjr » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:32 am

Well that is what I meant, I looked for every way to get it from 3" down to 1 and 1/4", but hopefully I will go back to homedepot this weekend to try again.

Sanityjr

Post by Sanityjr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Ok, I bought the supplies but I have a question that needs to be answered for me to complete it. I cut a 20" segment for the original barrel, but should I use that for the PC instead? If so what should the barrel size be. If not what should the PC be?

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

20 inches sounds like a good sized PC. The larger the volume, the better. The barrel on the original Douchenator was about 2' 6" but we have learned from our mistakes. The new Douchenator's barrel is about 3' 6" long. Length depends on your PC size, I heard some where that a good ratio for barrel to PC is 2 to 1. In any case, the longer the barrel, the more accurate you're going to be.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Sanityjr

Post by Sanityjr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Well It works now, with a 3 foot barrel. I can only guess that it can go about 100 yards maximum. I shot it from my backyard so I couldnt measure it becasue it went of two or three fences, so I will try to post the distance soon.
Last edited by Sanityjr on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.