Martial Arts Thread

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
Veteran

Post by Veteran » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:25 pm

This was a reasonably productive thread back on WWn, and since SSC has a much larger member database, maybe better results too. Basically you state what martial art (if any) you train in, and discuss it.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:37 pm

I never have done any martial arts, but my little brother did once.

Topic moved to the right forum. ;)

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:13 am

Since the topic came up..... I have a Black belt Shorin-Ryu Karate, and Korean Tae Kwon Do. Studied, and self taught in Bruce Lee's Fighting Method (Jeet Kune Do) for about 10 years. Most recently Jiu Jitsu due to the popularity, and success of Royce Grace in the Ultimate Fighting Championships.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The "S" stands for SUPER Soaker!

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:48 am

Well, Jeet Kune Do isn't really anything like Tae Kwan Do or Karate, so how'd you end up with that?

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:33 am

I did tae kwon do for 3 years, made it to red 4.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:21 am

Me, second level Shaolin Kung Fu, although there isn't a "traditional" ranking system

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:28 am

I was always a big Bruce Lee fan. I have his books the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and Bruce Lee's Fighting Method (hardbound version). Jeet Kune Do is not a formal art like Tae Kwon Do, and especially not like the rigid Japanese styles. It is more of a philosophy, which was what Bruce Lee was all about. I think the Tao of Keet Kune Do is one of the most interesting books I ever read. Not because it has to do with martial arts, but because it has so much to do with attitudes on life in general. I started out with Shorin-Ryu, and loved it, but it was very rigid. I mean all the forms, and katas. I started to think that these forms were not very useful in a real life situation. I have come to believe that Jeet Kune Do, and Jiu Jitsu are best for the real world.

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:28 am

I take Tae Kwon Do. I'm a red belt. And by our belt system, I'm 3 belts away from being a black belt. And remember, everyone who knows martial arts--use it liberally. Whenever my friends piss me off or try and fight me I just kick 'em real hard and everything's ok. :Hey, that's funny.:
Don't actually use it liberally, I'm just kidding.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:42 am

Originally posted by King Soaker@Jul 21 2004, 08:28 PM
I was always a big Bruce Lee fan. I have his books the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and Bruce Lee's Fighting Method (hardbound version). Jeet Kune Do is not a formal art like Tae Kwon Do, and especially not like the rigid Japanese styles. It is more of a philosophy, which was what Bruce Lee was all about. I think the Tao of Keet Kune Do is one of the most interesting books I ever read. Not because it has to do with martial arts, but because it has so much to do with attitudes on life in general. I started out with Shorin-Ryu, and loved it, but it was very rigid. I mean all the forms, and katas. I started to think that these forms were not very useful in a real life situation. I have come to believe that Jeet Kune Do, and Jiu Jitsu are best for the real world.
I'm also a big Bruce Lee fan. I've read Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit and the Art of Bruce Lee. The thing about Jeet Kune Do, Bruce didn't want it to be considered a Martial Art, but rather a way of thinking and a way of approach. The application itself is actually a further condensed and altered version of Wing Chun that Bruce Lee trained in. All of his early training was in Wing Chun.

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:57 am

Yes, Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's first style. He trained with Master Yip Man. I have a very cool video on Kung Fu. It's a documentary by National Geographic.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:01 am

Did they get any good footage of the Shaolin Monks?

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:07 am

I did vietnamese kung fu for a couple years. by the way, didn't bruce lee say jeet kun do was not the best? he said that the best style was a mixture of the styles that fit you the best.
http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:44 pm

I did Tai Chi for three years, then I got bored of it. ;)
I don't check this forum anymore.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:12 pm

Originally posted by ChaosKnight@Jul 21 2004, 10:07 PM
I did vietnamese kung fu for a couple years. by the way, didn't bruce lee say jeet kun do was not the best? he said that the best style was a mixture of the styles that fit you the best.
Bruce Lee said that every style was incomplete, and that you must fill in those holes though combat exerience and finding out the missing pieces through training. The Shaolin Monks, the origin of all martial arts say, every style has a speciality, to truly become a master you must train in many styles to obsorb those specialities. (I've never heard of Vietnamese Kung Fu, but since Vietnam is so close to China I don't see how it couldn't be possible)

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:44 am

martial arts may be good, but brute strength beats martial arts, as you can see in the picture. Hey, that's funny..

http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\