New to SSC... Im just saying Hi!

General water gun discussion.
Aurum

New to SSC... Im just saying Hi!

Post by Aurum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:59 am

Hey, I'm new to SSC...

Ive always loved pissing about with water, but ive never actually thought there was such a fanbase to water-based warfare ;)

My cousins been bugging me for the last 2 weeks to have a water fight with him... but my XP150 gun has gone missing as ive just moved house, so i was looking to buy another one, but of course, theres nothings decent on the market these days, stupid Health and Safety!

Then i Came across this site, and ive been looking at all the home-mades and modifcations etc and ive since decided, being on study leave etc, why not build my own gun?

Of course, being in the UK and PVC not being so readily avaliabl, especially Check Valves, ive decided to build it out of copper, following Insanity Engineer's work with his Copper Gun.

Ive got my plans, as well as that ive sourced my materials already, i just have to go and order them/buy them. Do i need to write a thread on this little project of mine in the Home-made section or not?

Cheers, Aurum
Armoury includes: Homemade Copper Gun, "Requiem" (boasts a very large water-carrying capacity, large pressure chamber, fitted pressure gauge, and as of 2nd Sept 2011, fully working home-made pump)
I seem to literally only log in once a year!

Drenchenator

Re: New to SSC... Im just saying Hi!

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

You are completely right about PVC and such being hard to find in the UK and other European countries. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do other than follow Insanity Engineer's copper gun model.

You can make a thread about your gun if you want to. Not too many people have built water guns out of copper pipe, so we'd definitely like to see what you will have done. Good luck!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Welcome to SSC!

We'd love to hear about your water gun so please do make a thread. Also, please write a guide on how to build a copper water gun if you can. I get emails every once and a while about doing that and I'm not the right guy to do that because I don't know what specifically is available in the UK, what stores to buy from, and other things people would find important for building. If you could make a guide it would help a lot of people out.

Other than that, good luck with the water gun!

Aurum

Post by Aurum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Hey, thanks for the interest. I'll see what i can do in regards to building it, and ive started the thread in the homemade section.

I'll give the guide a go once ive finished my model, but im new to the whole building/modding of waterguns.

Still, it's worth a shot at, right?
Armoury includes: Homemade Copper Gun, "Requiem" (boasts a very large water-carrying capacity, large pressure chamber, fitted pressure gauge, and as of 2nd Sept 2011, fully working home-made pump)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Welcome aboard!

Copper tends to be heavier and more expensive than PVC, but when it's the only option, it works well. The end result is also even safer and sturdier. So no worries.

I only know of one failed build, and that's because a random, non-pressure-rated piece of PVC was used as a pressure tank. Pressure problem barely even exist with copper, so there shouldn't be any major obstacles. Good luck! :)

Aurum

Post by Aurum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Ta very much. BTW, ive added updated plans of my copper gun, e.g. no more long barrel, and redesigned pump

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:11 pm

You can also upgrade it to have a schrader/presta valve, like this one: http://forums.sscentral.org/t3824/?highlight=vertigo