CPS 2500 difficult to pump

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Ghiniflip

CPS 2500 difficult to pump

Post by Ghiniflip » Fri May 07, 2004 4:59 pm

Hey, everyone, I just got a used CPS 2500. Great soaker, but the pump is pretty stiff. The first few pumps are ok, but afterwards, it gets to the point where I have to switch arms to finish pumping it (23-25 pumps for full charge). I'm not a little kid, either, so that's not the problem. Actually, some of my friends who tried it could barely even pump it all the way up.

I was just wondering whether or not this was normal or if I should try using some WD-40 or something. Thanks.

blaze

Post by blaze » Sat May 08, 2004 2:36 am

ok so maybe you're over pumping. when you pump fully and the pressure gauge says its full but you keep pumping, it will be very difficult and will make loud noises. this is the check valve releasing pressure. check the pressure gaugue. again, I might be wrong, but this is a very obvious thing that could solve your entire problem. if you got the pump number thing from the box, it can vary, and this is probably the problem. otherwise, I doubt I can help you.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat May 08, 2004 2:48 am

the 2500 is very hard to pump because it is moving a huge amount of water into a very stiff CPS cylinder.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

Ghiniflip

Post by Ghiniflip » Sat May 08, 2004 4:00 am

Thanks for the help, guys.

[at]Blaze: No, it's not the check valve. I know the sound you're talking about. It pumps stiffly long before the check valve kicks in (becomes really hard around 12-15 pumps). Also, the pressure gauge functions, so I know that I am not overpumping. I bought the soaker used, so perhaps this has something to do with it.

[at]BlueSmudge: Your answer seems more probable. However, if the stiffness of my soaker is normal, I can't imagine anyone not yet in their teens using it.

And yes, I am aware of how soakers are now being marketed for younger kids and the older, bigger ones are more suited for older kids/adults, etc., so I don't mean to start up that whole discussion again. I agree that soakers were better a few years ago and the really big ones weren't really suitable for little kids. It's just that I thought that the big ones were at least *usable* by little kids, but if my CPS 2500 is typical, then it would be impossible for any little kids to use them.

blaze

Post by blaze » Sat May 08, 2004 4:47 am

it must be a soaker-specific thing because my neighbor's 2500 has the smoothest and easiest pump of any soaker ive ever used...

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat May 08, 2004 5:59 am

maybe its an overtight pump seal. I bet doom will know.
BlueSoak.net

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:12 pm

Hey, that's funny., "ask Doom" :Hey, that's funny.: :D
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 08, 2004 2:05 pm

It probably just needs some greasing. Get some Vaseline and smear it on the pump cap and then it should work fine after a few pumps to get it coated good.

I made the pump seal on my latest homemade with only electrical tape, without Vaseline it would get stuck at certain spots in the pump, with Vaseline it slides very easily, pointing the gun down will make the pump extend!

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat May 08, 2004 5:05 pm

how do you keep it from coming out? Can't you just use a bike pump? I think that would be more reliable.
BlueSoak.net