Sneak attack cap issues

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
soakernerd

Sneak attack cap issues

Post by soakernerd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:36 am

The cap on my Sneak Attack is impossible to get off. I have tried rotating it both ways, using a vice-grip. I believe some part of the cap has broken, as I can hear something clanking when I shake the gun. now I can't fill it, which is a shame, because it's a suprisingly good gun (for a gimmicky piston soaker :rolleyes: ) Any ideas on how to fix it?

my last resort is hacksawing the threaded are off, and using a cork w/ a hole in it.

C-A_99

Re: Sneak attack cap issues

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 am

Look at the cap very closely and look for imprints that indicate which direction to open and close. If there are no prints on there, then you open it counter-clockwise. Use pliers and be sure on the direction before trying to open it. Perhaps there is vacuum pressure (inside has less pressure than outside) or something is making the threads sticky. If you are absolutely sure you're unthreading in the correct direction and still can't get it with pliers, try putting it under hot water.

Don't go to that last resort; it'd be somewhat of a pain to work with since the hole is so big. (though not quite as bad as if it were pressurized resevoir)

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:50 pm

My guess is in trying to unscrew it the wrong way, you've ended up screwing it on mega-tight.

A picture of the cap would help.

If the cap is the sort that you can connect an aquapack to, then it's reverse-thread, and you unscrew it clockwise. But these caps are very similar to the regular 'quick fill' caps which unscrew anticlockwise. I can't really explain the difference in words.

The clanking is probably just an intake tube. In any case, if part of the cap had snapped off I can't see how that would make it HARDER.

Come to think of it, doesn't the Sneak Attack have some form of quick fill anyway. Depress the centre and a valve opens allowing water in? Meaning even if the cap did get stuck, the gun isn't made unusable.

Again, a picture would really help.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 am

According to iSoaker, the Sneak Attack's cap is indeed a Max-Infusion cap, meaning it's probably reverse-threaded and is definately compatible with the backpack. (and of course, still quick-fills) So cantab is right; there's no need to replace the cap anyway unless theres some high risk of the resevoir rotting up from being capped.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm

You should be okay with it on, soakernerd. The thing I hate about these backwards caps is that people (usually n00bs) turn them the wrong way. Then it confuses them with older soakers that are threaded correctly. It's just cruddish!

Now I don't know if using the quick-fill is even a good idea. The one on my AB doesn't work, yet I don't know why.

I would still try to get it off because of the cruddish quick-fill mess up that happens. Just try some of C-A_99s methods.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 pm

I've never had much trouble with quickfills, as long as the source fits into the cap. Water bottle refills work decently, and filling with the hose also works as long as you don't turn the hose on full blast. (which will get more water on people nearby than into the reservoir)

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:21 pm

There is one other option that got my cap unstuck from my Max infusion Overload. You heat the cap under a warm stream of water from a faucet, then unscrew the cap counter clockwise.

-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.