What should I get?

General water gun discussion.
Chernobyl

What should I get?

Post by Chernobyl » Thu May 19, 2011 2:25 am

I'm looking to get a powerful water gun that can go at least 50 feet. Are there any on the market that I can buy right now.I'm looking to spend around $60 max and I was wondering whether I could make a decent homemade with that much money.

Thanks I appreciate all help.

Bopper53

Re: What should I get?

Post by Bopper53 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:46 am

None on the market. Stream machine will get close to that. or get on ebay a CPS 2700

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:50 am

@Chernobyl: I would strongly suggest making a homemade. Not only will you get superior performance and durability over a manufactured water gun, you will also pick up some valuable diy skills along the way, as well as gain an important understanding of how water guns work which will help you later down the line if you ever need to repair a stock water weapon.

I would suggest an APH, because all of the parts should be available at your local hardware/pluming supply store (definitely within you $60 budget). There is plenty of information in the "homemades" section of this website to get you started, and I strongly suggest you start a thread while you're building it so we can help you out as best as we can.

Finally, some shameless promotion of an APH I built just a few weeks ago:

http://forums.sscentral.org/t6467/
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:36 pm

Homemades are a tricky path to take with two main issues: ergonomics and troublesome parts. The average first-homemade is not very practical for water wars, mostly due to the lack of good grips and a trigger. Another issue is the pump; there are few resources out there for helping one construct a reliable pump that'll work for more than 5 minutes, which I myself am working to improve the situation on.

If you build an APH, you absolutely must have a pump that can seal well enough to get air in, or must have a separate air pump. Without pre-pressurization, the APH (or any other air pressure water gun with a separate chamber) usually performs very poorly. You can build a CPH instead, and use stacked party balloons as the chamber instead of LRT if you don't want to deal with spending a lot of money on that stuff.

Stream Machines are not designed for the vast majority of water wars. They're good for swimming pools, naval wars, and for civil war-style musket games that take place in open fields.

Easiest way is to go on eBay and find blasters. Anything that's from the Monster or CPS line will do the job and do a damn good one at that. Certain CPS's benefit incredibly from easy mods; in particular, the K-mod works well on the 1000, 1200, and certain 2100's. If you get a 1-3-5, you WILL have to modify it to make it useful for water warfare. (Carefully drill out main nozzle to larger orifice or replace it, and plug/disable other nozzles. K-mod would probably help a lot too.)

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 am

@wetmonkey I like your mini aph and the orange Colour.
I was was wondering if I could make a trigger on a homemade like a finger trigger or something similar. Can it be done? Also what tools would I need to make a homemade. Would I be able to get them under 60 as well?

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat May 21, 2011 5:51 pm

The problem with triggers is that they have a limited power to them (A.K.A. the valve size is limited) I would just reccomend attatching a length of pvc to the ball valve, and using lubricant (specially made for ball valves) to get the best out of it.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.