Homemade waterguns

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
11ilee

Homemade waterguns

Post by 11ilee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:42 am

I've been interested in building a homemade watergun but I don't have access to tools like a hacksaw, drill, or etc. Is there a way to build a homemade watergun without these tools?
Also, what are check valves?

Thanks,
Isaac

Captain Galaxy

Re: Homemade waterguns

Post by Captain Galaxy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:04 am

What sort of tools do you have?

A hacksaw works pretty well but most any saw will work. I used a wood saw on my homemade and it worked just fine (maybe even better).

A homemade can be done without a drill (I only used it for the reservoir cap and an endcap nozzle that I replaced with a real one), but it would be good too have one.

If I knew how, I would post a link to something that shows what a check valve is, but I have yet to figure that out ( among many other computer-related things).
Last edited by Captain Galaxy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long and Prosper

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:07 am

Well, I guess its kind of embarrassing, but I've never used any tools before except for a screwdriver, hammer and other really basic tools. I've never used a hacksaw, power drill, or anything like that before.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:08 am

Hacksaws are cheap, so buy one if you don't have one. A decent hand drill can be somewhat cheap. A set of drill bits could set you back if you get good ones but you won't need the best. A clamp to hold down pipe should be cheap. Just buy all these items and you'll be set.

You can build a water gun without basic tools but you'd be restricting yourself a lot. You'd only need scissors and a screwdriver to make something with simple tubing, but it won't be a good water gun.

As for what a check valve is, for questions that basic try Wikipedia or Google. You can answer your own questions you know. :p

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:14 am

If it adds anything to this, the most I've ever used is a pipe-cutter (the ratcheting kind) and a drill.

I've sure that using pipe nipples and threaded fittings could eliminate the first one (albeit make it awkward to use), and I'm pretty sure you could use hose barbs for nozzles. This would make it costlier indeed, but you could pull it off.

In any case, tools are just aids, as they always have been. There are work-arounds, but they just make it harder.

Which reminds me of a post someone made: "Why go from 1/2" slip to 1/2" female threaded then go from 1/2" male threaded to 1/2" barb when there's a fitting that goes from 1/2" slip to 1/2" barb on McMaster-Carr?" "Simply because it's easier than ordering."

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks guys for your responses. They helped alot. Just one thing, whats the shot time on the APH?

Thanks,
Isaac

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Depends on the pressure chamber size and nozzle diameter you use. Try http://www.sscentral.org/physics/calculator.html
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:54 am

Ben, I think Captain Galaxy was wondering how to post a link, not how a check valve works. Galaxy, you can click the button above the text box with a globe and a chain. Or you can do:

Code: Select all

[url =http://www.sscentral.org/]this[/url]
(without the space between url and =) to create this.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:45 am

I wasn't replying to CaptainGalaxy. I started writing my reply before there were any replies to this thread. Thanks for explaining that though. I hadn't even noticed there were replies before mine.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:32 am

I should've been more specific about the shot time question. If I follow the instructions on building the dual pressure chamber APH, does it shoot a 50X stream 60 ft for several seconds?

Thanks,
Isaac

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:42 am

You can figure this out approximately with rather simple math if you assume the water flow will be constant. It won't be but for a riot blast it's a close enough approximation.

When you say 50X, the X is shorthand for ounces per second of water flow. 50X equals about 1500 mL per second or 1.5 liters per second. An APH like my first one will have a PC capacity of about 1.5 liters. Therefore, the shot time will be a second from simple division (i.e. 1.5 liters / 1.5 liters per second = 1 seconds).

Let me reiterate that when you do basic division like that you're assuming the water flow is constant. Especially in air pressure the water flow is not constant. CPS systems are close but not perfect. However, for general estimates a constant flow assumption is acceptable, especially when the shot time is so short like in a riot blast.

If you have questions that basic I would highly recommend reading or at least skimming this page: http://www.sscentral.org/physics/equations.html

It'd be worthwhile to add some more specific statistics on basic APH water guns in the guide so I'll get around to that eventually...
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:00 am

Ok. But just out of curiosity if the APH shoots a riot blast of 50x than what is the rating on its stream (on either the 1/4" or 3/8" nozzles)?

Thanks,
Isaac

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 am

I did not find the output of the nozzles. I'd guess the 1/4 inch stream is in the range of 8 to 15X and the 3/8 inch nozzle is in the range of 12 to 20X but that's rough at best. And you have to realize that the flow is not constant so those figures only apply for the first bit of the shot when the flow is at its peak.

I'd suggest searching the forums here for some more detailed statistics if you need them. Someone surely has posted detailed statistics.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:06 am

Does the SuperCPS have a 40x stream or does that only apply to riot blasts?

Thanks,
Isaac