Does cold weather harm water guns?

General water gun discussion.
11ilee

Does cold weather harm water guns?

Post by 11ilee » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:52 am

Just wondering, does having watergun fights in the winter and in cold weather harm water guns?

Thanks,
Isaac

cantab

Re: Does cold weather harm water guns?

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:07 am

If the temperature is below freezing then there's obviously the risk of water freezing in the gun and cracking something. However, you can reduce that by not leaving the gun lying around full and/or pressurised.

Plastics and rubber do become more brittle at lower temperatures, weakening them. However, normal winter temperatures in most climates should not be a problem. If you're somewhere like Canada or Russia, it might be. But most toy waterguns should have enough of a safety margin anyway.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Ditto to cantab. The primary problems with cold weather water blaster use for the blaster are water freezing in parts, particularly smaller tubings and seals that may rupture, as well as rubber and plastic being harder, hence more brittle when cold, thus more likely to break if hit or used forcefully. However, many members, myself included, have taken a water blaster out during the winter months, firing them into snow banks, etc. That said, I've only used a water blaster outside for a brief amount of time and don't have experience with using one for extended periods.

Of course, while it isn't horrible for a water gun, getting hit by a water stream in the winter if not wearing the appropriate types of clothing can be problematic (i.e. greater chances of getting a cold, pneumonia, etc.).

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:39 pm

The Arctic Shock and Arctic Blast are both designed to work with near-freezing water and ice inside, and I don't think there are any substantial materials or design differences compared to other guns as a result of that.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Near freezing and below freezing are rather different scenarios. As well, cold water in tubing when the rest of the blaster is well above freezing does affect a soaker the way sub-freezing temperatures that would chill the entire soaker would. Things like the ball valve and other moving parts lubricant would get colder and work less effectively.

If you're fighting in cold temps, but still above freezing, the chances of additional problems are likely minimal. However, if you're have a battle in below freezing temps, many factors change.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::