Splash Attack Watercannon

General water gun discussion.
11ilee

Splash Attack Watercannon

Post by 11ilee » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Hey guys,

I was surfing through amazon.com for a high powered watercannon when I stumbled upon a watercannon dubbed the "Splash Attack Beast Water Cannon."
(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... ter+Cannon)
The advertisement said that it could shoot splashballs 50 ft. and had a water stream that could go 20 ft. Does anyone know whether or not the performance of this blaster is good enough to match the CPS blasters?

Thanks,
Isaac

Hunt_and_Annoy

Re: Splash Attack Watercannon

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:40 pm

The stream doesn't sound very powerful, and the splashballs seem to me like a gimmick. I don't think it sounds very useful, although I may be wrong.

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm

To me they look like paintballs you fill with water. The description says it shoots like paintball. So i'm guessing thats what it is.
Its just a gimmick that is made to sell the gun
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 pm

So its probably just a waste of money?

Thanks,
Isaac

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:52 am

I think there was some discussion about this water gun here or at iSoaker.net but the gun itself is pathetic. 20 feet is bad for a water gun and 50 feet is bad for something like a water balloon. Don't waste your money on it. ;)

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:00 am

Ok. Thanks guys for your responses!

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 am

Yep, we've seen it before. Just to clarify, I think it shoots plain old paintballs, not "splashballs." 20 feet is half the range of a decent water gun and 50 feet is a quarter the range of a decent paintball marker. And I wouldn't want a paintball gun in a water war and vice versa (not that I play paintball). So, that's another no-go... :)

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 am

I guess its really overpriced for its performance.

Thanks,
Isaac

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:28 am

I've seen different versions of the same concept. The 'splashballs' are mini versions of the foam ball water bombs you can get. As such, they're reusable, but their small size means their unlikely to get the target very wet.
If the range really is what's claimed then it could be of some use in one-hit-kills with no minimum wetness. But that's about it. And I view all range claims with skepticism.
Only other thing it's gonna be useful for is variety in your collection. (The same reason why I got a Shield Blaster)
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Ok,

Thanks,
Isaac

PS. Is the Shield Blaster a soaker worth getting?

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Hmm, on closer look I am wrong - splashballs aren't paintballs. The Amazon description says they're reusable, as cantab mentioned. But remember, good water guns can get that range with plain water.

Shield Blasters aren't worth it in my opinion. They're not powerful so you wouldn't want to get one for use in a water war. I guess it depends on whether you consider the shield to be novelty or gimmick.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Which one?
Most of the Shield Blasters aren't great. I've got the 2000, haven't done range testing yet.

Cons:
It feels somewhat uncomfortable to hold, especially for long periods.
You must have left hand wielding and right cranking, not the other way round.
The stream pulsates, most noticeably with slow cranking.
Cranking somehow feels more tiring than pumping.
It can't be fired one-handed.
The shield is too small to reliably keep you dry, though it's more blocking area than most guns have.
It's also flimsy enough that I reckon a big stream, or direct water bomb hit, would just knock it down.
The reservoir cap is small by modern standards.

Pros:
You can shoot constantly until the reservoir runs out, but that's not as uncommon a capability as you might think. Besides the obvious motorised blasters, some pressurised blasters have low enough outputs that you can 'keep up'. And of course there's the Steady Stream.
Choice of nozzles. Three streams and a triple.

In short, probably not worth getting. Many other guns are better, and an umbrella makes a much better shield!

UPDATE: Range, while not atrocious, is not brilliant. You have to crank the handle pretty fast to get decent range.
The pulsation is VERY noticeable. It's also very difficult to precisely aim the gun when you're cranking it. The result is that while it serves for soaking a general area (on any nozzle), accurate shots at angled range limit are next to impossible. That means you'll be wasting water instead of getting it all on your target.

A couple of mods spring to mind as unique for the shield blasters. Motorisation is one possibility; get a suitable motor and battery and just slap it on the side in place of the crank. Wouldn't even need to open the gun.
Another is replacing the peristaltic pump with a different one. Provided it's possible to crank fast enough (perhaps using gearing) I reckon a centrifugal pump would be better.
With those two together, you could perhaps get something more like a bigger version of the tarantula. Though I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.
Last edited by cantab on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:50 am

I've heard that the Shield Blaster 3000 isn't bad, but that the ones with lower numbers in their designations were poor in performance.

Thanks,
Isaac

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am

@cantab: Neat idea to motorize a Shield Blaster. It shouldn't be too difficult to do and would make a reasonable electronically actuated water gun. Cheap drill motors should work and I don't imagine the modification would be too difficult. Someone with some free time and a spare Shield Blaster should give it a try...

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:09 am

Yummy, Shield Blaster modifications!

The 3000 essentially is a shield, you could gut the gun and still use the shielding capabilities. Or, like Nerf, integrate the gun to another, such as the Max-D 5 or 6000, and you have a shield blaster 5/6000! Another plus, it's no longer cranked!
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back