Max-D 4000 problems. Need help

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
00chapin00

Max-D 4000 problems. Need help

Post by 00chapin00 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:35 pm

I was playing around with my MD 4000 trying to take it apart when I realized that the spot where the pump goes there is a red piece keeping the entire gun together. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a step by step guide on taking the MD 4000 apart or at least tell me how to take off this part. It would be great if I didn't have to use a saw or anything like that also. I would take pics but I don't have a camera.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:14 am

Are you talking about the part where the pump shaft enters the pump tube? If so, then it should be safe to pry it off and slide it along the pump shaft, though you don't want to lose it; it really does hold that part of the soaker together. I guess you could just duct tape everything back together if you decide to remove this piece permanently, but for some reason I don't like that idea :rolleyes: . In fact, it comes off naturally on my Argon, and even duct tape to hold it in place gets peeled back whenever I pump. Oh well...

If it doesn't slide off easily, you should probably use a flat-head screwdriver to pry it off, as I stated above. Once it's just sliding loosely along the pump shaft, you should be able to remove the halves of the soaker's casing. In fact, once it has been removed, you should be able to remove the pump grip, the pump shaft, and the plunger all at once (but you can shove them all back in, fortunately)--so I guess it will come off if you just extend the pump forcefully.

However, wait for the opinions of those who are more knowledgeable than I am--my knowledge isn't the best by far.

Big Boss

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:59 pm

I've got a MAX-D 2000, and after some very tedious prying (using a jewelers screwdriver just to start it, then larger and larger widths...) I eventually got it to pop off. Now I can slide it on and off along the pump shaft without much of a problem, and I don't even seem to need duct tape to hold it in place while I pump. This may change with time though, and I don't know if others of the MAX D line work the same way, although I know the trigger mechanism is the same.

vaporizer_2

Post by vaporizer_2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:33 pm

I have two max-d 2ks, both are at least 5 years old that have their pump caps detached. They easily stick back into place when you push them back to their original positions. I don't think they'll ever un-stick. :D

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:21 pm

@ vaporizer: I'll create a new thread for this if you so wish, but this is fine with me. I suggest a bit of epoxy inside the caps to hold them in place, and that should be an excellent solution. I'll point this out in one of the repair articles I'm submitting...but is it the pump cap or the ring that holds the plunger in that's coming out?

vaporizer_2

Post by vaporizer_2 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:08 am

SilentGuy wrote:@ vaporizer: I'll create a new thread for this if you so wish, but this is fine with me. I suggest a bit of epoxy inside the caps to hold them in place, and that should be an excellent solution. I'll point this out in one of the repair articles I'm submitting...but is it the pump cap or the ring that holds the plunger in that's coming out?
Nothing's coming out, I was just saying that on the MD2K, after you pop the pump shaft caps off, they don't need to be glued back into place. I assumed this was applicable to the 4K. No need to start another topic, though.
"Isn't using a bow and arrows to kill a porcupine like farting on a skunk to kill it?" -My brother's friend

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:31 pm

Oh, I see what you're saying...it's funny the way I now understand how that contributes to the entire topic instead of describes a problem. For some reason I saw it as a problem at the time and thought the pieces kept on coming off when you didn't want them to...

Thanks for clearing that up.