Hello I am new

General water gun discussion.
aamiller123

Hello I am new

Post by aamiller123 » Sun May 11, 2008 2:10 am

Hey I'm new here. don't expect many posts from me, my heart belongs to NERF. After all you can nerf anytime of year. I suppose you can Super Soaker in winter too, but thats kind of suicidal. Anyway what I like about NERF is that you can turn water guns into NERF guns, but it's really hard to turn water guns into NERF guns. Anyone here NERF too? If so go here http://foamuniverse.com.

Drenchenator

Re: Hello I am new

Post by Drenchenator » Sun May 11, 2008 3:31 am

Welcome to SSCentral!

Ben and I have been members at NerfHaven for years. His name over there is Doom; mine's Dr. Nerf. Both of us have built Nerf homemades too, but the only one--in my opinion--that I've built so far that was of real importance was my bolt-action one.

Nice site! From what I can tell it looks like it was just started, so good job on getting out that much content--and that much quality content too! One thing though: Aim to have an FAQ like ours here at SSC; the NerfHaven-style one just doesn't seem to consist of questions people would ask or ones that would actually be helpful.

Turning water guns in Nerf guns really isn't that good of an idea, though I admit fully that it works. It's pretty simple why--water guns have a continuous release; Nerf guns need to have a burst. You would want a much higher flow rate in a Nerf gun than in a soaker.

Valve choice is a big difference too. In a water gun, ball valves are the best choice because they offer a straight path for the water to flow through. In pneumatic projectile methods like Nerf you'd want a fast opening valve, which a ball valve just isn't.

A final sticking point that probably matters the most: A converted Super Soaker would need too many pumps! The chamber in technically is supposed to have less volume because water is in it too, so a full empty chamber would build pressure slowly.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

aamiller123

Post by aamiller123 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Yeah I've seen Doom around. how 'bout you guys join Foam Universe? I found the names of my guns one is a "Liquidator" and the other one is a "Vaporizer" both relatively new considering I haven't used them often.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 11, 2008 7:05 pm

I'll probably join during the summer. I've browsed your forum before but I never felt the need to register. Right now I'm busy so not much can be expected from me. I've actually stopped posting for the most part at all forums I frequent except for here.

If you posted this for purely promotional reasons, well, you're not going to have much success posting at forums alone. I would highly suggest looking into SEO (search engine optimization). Nerf keywords are pretty easy (relatively) to rank in from what I've seen. If you do some SEO I'd imagine that you'd rank in the top 3 of most keywords in a year without serious effort. That's a lot of visitors.

Another suggestion I can give is to never stop adding content. The more useful people find your website, the more they'll stick around.

Believe it or not, there's a LOT that could be done to make a useful website, especially in the NIC. The NIC is forum centric at the moment. The problem with the forum centric model is organization. There's a reason people keep saying to do a search to new guys... that's because people can't find what they want. Good organization makes most searching unnecessary. Foam Universe has already taken a step in the right direction by having a website, which is great.

aamiller123

Post by aamiller123 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Nah not for promotional reasons, okay kinda. But we are always adding content, from the same group of people. Thats why we need more membs. Are my water guns any good? I really like the liquidator.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri May 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Neither of them are very good at all. The Liquidator is decent for a pressurized reservoir gun, but by no means should be a main weapon; it may be a good sidearm though. The Vaporizer is a piston pumper and is too small to really be good. Some piston pumpers--the ZX series, for example--are really good, but they actually have some capacity to them.

aamiller123

Post by aamiller123 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:42 am

Is the new arctic shock really good? I've read the review and found it wasn't conclusive. Nevermind I'll Post that elsewhere.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat May 17, 2008 1:16 am

The Arctic Shock is not very and no longer available. It's only advantage over the guns that you already have is that it has a separate pressure chamber, which helps out a lot during battle (refilling while charged).

The Arctic Blast however is good enough and still available. It's range is decent and it does have CPS. But it's really too small overall. The reservoir volume isn't even 2L and the pressure chamber volume is a joke at under 300 mL.

If you are looking for a newer good gun, get the Water Warriors Orca. It's just over 2 feet long, has a reservoir volume of 2.5L and a chamber volume of 700 mL. It uses diaphragm CPS and gets good enough range. Oh, and it has a nozzle selector, not the stupid dual-nozzle thing Hasbro has got going. The Orca is definitely the only water gun I would think about buying this year.

aamiller123

Post by aamiller123 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:12 am

Thanks man, now I'm moving my gun discussion elsewhere on this forum.