Question on Building a Water Rifle

General water gun discussion.
Athrun Zala

Question on Building a Water Rifle

Post by Athrun Zala » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 am

I have found PVC pipe is available here (my dad had to buy some to fix a water pipe near the house), so I can use that for building. It was my idea to build a rifle based on the 3b assault rifle from star trek, which looks like it could be 3 feet long. (hard to say from pictures) How could I make a casing for all the parts and connections to make it look nice and pretty though? I was thinking about most things being made out of plastic casing, except I'm not sure where to get something like that since plastic has to be molded in a certain shape. And my parents aren't rich enough to go and buy vacuumn molds for an otherwise dumb idea.

C-A_99

Re: Question on Building a Water Rifle

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 am

It is nearly impossible to get a "tactical" style of gun design with a water blaster due to the need to maximize water. There's an exception though; you can use cylinderical CPS or a pipe with a piston to seperate air/water, and attach the thing to a backpack thus eliminating the problem of water volume in such a design.

All of that assumes of course, that you can create the casing itself. Building a water gun alone is enough concern but a casing is quite tricky. You will need to adopt the design to have a pump and if having a backpack simply looks too goofy or incorrect, you'll also have to find a way to create a reservoir in the gun casing that conforms to the shape of the gun. (otherwise water capacity will be a serious problem)

Perhaps you could modify other toy guns around to look like the Phaser and use that to house the internals of the water blaster. But as mentioned above there will be several problems unless you are very proficient in finding ways around them.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

if you want looks more than quality, try buying a big, cheap knockoff water gun. they usually have a ton of empty space. strip out the internals, and place a smallish air piston gun, like this one or mine. good luck

Athrun Zala

Post by Athrun Zala » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:59 pm

well, I want something a little more powerful than a 5-10 foot range water pistol that shoots a tiny stream when we're up against buckets of water and possibly a hose. I don't really need a 60 foot range gun, the range of the hose is quite enough for that. But I don't want something that has a lot of parts showing and being unwieldy because of it. Especially when I have 4 younger siblings, two who are 8 and 6 who can end up messing parts and moving stuff.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

My point was to use the SHELL of the knockoff gun. replace the internals with your own.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:13 pm

If you design the internals carefully to fit the shell, there shouldn't be too much trouble with parts sticking out. The primary moving parts will be the pump and trigger, but it will take a ton of work to put together. Homemades usually work best as personal blasters anyway instead of for lending. I probably wouldn't lend my CPH to anyone since nobody has any experience handling one nor knows exactly how it works, is assembled, etc.