New Colossus?!?

Threads about water gun modifications.
soakernerd

New Colossus?!?

Post by soakernerd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:24 am

I was just browsing the NIC, and I found an intriguing write-up about the SS shot blast. While the mod was pretty cool, what got my attention was the use of Buna-N tubing to give higher pressure than the RF20 bladder is normally capable of.
"slip" the Buna-N Tubing over it to allow for higher pressures. (This step isn't necessary, just nice)
Has anyone tried using Buna-N rubber in a colossus?

for those wondering, the RF20 is a fully automatic nerf gun which uses constant pressure to regulate air.

martianshark

Re: New Colossus?!?

Post by martianshark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 am

Wow. Nobody has posted in this thread even though it's been days. As far as I know, it should work, but I don't really know. What's NIC, btw?

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

I though I'd posted.

I see two issues:

1) Is the internal diameter correct? I believe cylindrical CPS chambers are quite wide; you'd want tubing with an inside diameter slightly less that the outside diameter of the chamber. Such tubing may be hard to get.

2) Using few pieces of thick tubing doesn't give you fine control over the pressure boost. If you're pushing the limits of what the rest of the gun can handle, or you want to get the maximum pressure without having to disable the relief valve, you need the fine control.

Obviously, latex rubber tubing, which is more common in homemade and modded water guns, could be used instead of Buna-N.

NIC stands for Nerf Internet Community.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 am

The main problem here is resiliency. Buna-N is not as resilient as latex. It will wear out faster. Additionally, if I remember correctly, Buna-N rubber does not expand as much as LRT (not that it needs to here if it is an outer layer).

It'd help nonetheless, and maybe even allow you to use wider tubing than usual, but I don't see it replacing layering LRT in the future. It's worth trying.