New Here

General water gun discussion.
mike2

New Here

Post by mike2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 pm

How's it going everyone? Well I'm a freshman in college and we're almost done our first year. We're planning a water fight etc. and I thought..." I need to get a super soaker." I have the original 100 from back in the day but let's face it, it's old and never had a lot of power. I was driving in my car today trying to think of something good. I remember the 25000 and I always wanted one because it was just huge and looked like it would have some good power. So I went on ebay today and turns out it's the 2500. I was shocked to see the prices of some of these things. Over $100 and people pay for it!

What's the catch? lol just a rare super soaker? I think it was $50 back in '98 and my mom thought it was too expensive. I thought i'd get lucky and get it for $10 or something lol. Oh well.

I guess I'll check the market place but I guess I should have bought it back when it was in stores.

SSCBen

Re: New Here

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Welcome to SSC!

Spring and summer are the wrong seasons to be buying water guns. The prices skyrocket. I did a small study into it and in the summer the prices are on average twice as high as they are in the winter.

With those who are looking offering so much, sellers don't look to sell for cheap unless they're nice guys. You might have luck right now if you stick around eBay for the new week or two and try to buy before prices increase too much. I don't know exactly how prices increase (i.e. whether they are low one month and skyrocket the next or it's gradual), but I'd imagine that right now would be cheaper than later.

If you don't want to pay an enormous amount, buy in winter. While there are less water guns during winter, what is available is significantly cheaper as I explained. And buy soon too. Older water guns are getting rare and consequently more expensive. They also are breaking more often and people might throw them away rather than sell.

You could also of course build your own water gun if you're up to that. Given that dire situation in the stores and on eBay, I think this is our best option for the immediate future and possibly for all time.

Spinner

Re: New Here

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:29 pm

mike2 wrote:What's the catch? lol just a rare super soaker?
It's probably more the fact that there is nothing commercially available that comes close to the 2500's power that causes more people to look for it and so causes eBay 2500 prices to rise. :cool:
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.