shields

General water gun discussion.
Tactical Theory 101

shields

Post by Tactical Theory 101 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:16 am

I had this idea for a shield once. I thought some sacrificed firepower might make up for some extra protection. So i made a shield.you can't really use a heavy gun with it but it works perfectly.

you take a piece of cardboard thats about 11" wide and about half the length of your arm long.

attach a handle 2" or 3" from the end, wide enough for you to be able to flex your arm then attach another one 2" or 3" away from the front wide enough for you wrist. (personally I took this elastic fabric 1" thick and sewed it on.)

then make sure it fits comfortably on your arm.

(this next step is opptional if you want the shield to be a bit more effective.)
take another piece of cardboard and attach it to the side of the cardboard that doesn't have handles.

next when you've done all that take some plastic, preferable a piece of a garbage bag, and place it onto the part of the shield used for deflecting water, so that it water doesn't ruin the cardboard. ( make sure you cut the garbage bag so that it's size is a small bit larger than the cardboard so you can duct-tape it to the other side.

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:28 pm

It sounds like a good idea if you use sheilds, but I prefer not to. I think that dodging is a much better tactic that can be applied against almost any situation. Shields are going a bit too far, IMO they are too much equipment and make it harder to score points.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Sounds like a nice shield - doesn't really get in the way. Shields are okay as long as they don't restrict movement or distract you from fighting well (because you're focusing on shielding instead of dodging and shooting).

Nice writeup! :)

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:06 am

I've found that the most effective shield is only as large as necessary to block the largest stream the enemy is capable of bringing against you. Like Silent Guy mentioned, if you are going to block a shot, you'd better be able to fire back and dodge as well. When I need to shield, which is rather rare , I use the side of my gun. This helps make the actual time spent blocking a shot next to nothing. It is possible to charge, block, and continue charging without actually losing any speed that way.

Also, with a smaller shield, you can block in virtually any direction and angle. Most people don't think of blocking their back, but if you are personally engaged with multiple enemies, streams often come in from all directions without warning.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:41 pm

For shields, I would probably prefer one large enough to take cover under, one you can 'deploy' and use as cover, yet pick up if you need to advance. To avoid getting surrounded, a wall or some vegitation can be used to cover up the rear flank. (depending on where you are) I haven't found stream blocking to be as effective, simply due to our rules of any hit that's noticeable counting as a kill. In soakfests, blocking can deter the hits well, but is still not as useful in 1HK. And as DX said, using a blaster for blocking is usually better than using a small shield.

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:14 am

How useful or not a shield is, is usually dependent on where you fight, how many people you fight with and what kind of gun you're fighting with.

If you're playing a small game with few people then a shield would be quite effective, actually too effective, and hence I wouldn't recommend one due to balancing issues. If it's a large group of people, limited numbers of shields can make the game more fun, with shield walls and things like that, while the number of opponents means that the shield formations aren't unbeatable.

The main drawback of shields is your inability to shoot properly with a big gun properly and in dense environments like jungle, they restrict movement. When crawling around undergrowth and climbing steep slopes, large shields may also get in the way unless you wear it on your back or something. Other than that, on level and open ground, shields will ensure that a high percentage of shots (or any at all) do not get through, as long as one remains alert to surprise attacks and flanking.

The shield you designed is very light and shouldn't encumber you much. So you should be able to charge with it, though with a bit more air resistance. When I use a shield I usually take a tower shield since most of my games are team based, though the shield isn't very unwieldy and can be shifted around very fast, making it ok for smaller games. Of course, make sure you have ammo in your gun while with your shield, because a shield alone won't help you a whole lot.

Tactical Theory 101

Post by Tactical Theory 101 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 pm

When I made this shield I intended it for small fights, not important ones. When this shield is used it's used with a small weapon so your firing power isn't restricted by the way. Partly it was just an experiment and partly to be used with my friends.
Last edited by Tactical Theory 101 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I forgot spellcheck.
Armoury: Xenon(2), Orca, SS Secret Strike(2),

andrewajt62

Post by andrewajt62 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Like DX mentioned, he uses his gun as a shield. Thats what the Shield Blaster 3000 is meant to do. It can even block a whole blast from a Flash Flood. It has alot of ammo and shoots high powered streams out of 3 nozzles at once. For more info on Shield Blasters, check my review under the topic "Genral".

P.S. If the shield doesn't get in your way, use it.
My Armory, Shieldblaster 5000, Shieldblaster 3000
, Aquashock Arctic blast, Broke Flash Flood, Max Infushion Backpack, Sneak Attack Blaster.

soaker

Post by soaker » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:05 am

well as far as shields go i don't much care for them however their are a number of guns that have them attached( Transformers, shield blasters ect. )