Why Can't A Commander Be A Heavy Gunner

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:50 am

I was reading some strategy from somewhere and it said that even though a leader should have two rolls, it is not recommended that a commander should also be a heavy gunner. Can someone tell me why?
"Rejoice not over me my enemy, for when I fall, I shall in turn arise." Micah 7:8

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:13 am

That is conventional and long followed advice. But a commander can be a heavy gunner, and it can even be advantageous to do so. Many people who write against commanders weiding heavy guns are thinking about the loss of mobility and the fact that commanders need to be doing a lot of duties in real time. But often the best place that your commander can possibly be is at the front lines. There, you can direct manuevers as events unfold and react to enemy movements more effectively. 2 roles IMHO is not even enough. As an example, I am a co-commander of my team and am responsible for almost every position you could think of. Scouting, heavy gunning, skirmishing, etc. I often use them all during a long war. Positions in general should be relative to user weaponry class and skill, not rigid assignments. Also positions should change based on the situation. Attacks are also often more sucessful if led by an experienced commander with a powerful weapon.

I really gotta get going on writing the SM battle manual, as these kinds of ideas appear to still be relatively unknown. :(
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:24 am

Define heavy gunner...
A commander should have a good gun. Perhaps not a MXL, since it is a bit unwieldy, but perhaps a 2500 or Monster X. Something substantial enough to easily defend himself/herself with. I really think, though, that all super soakers are too small and light for it to matter that much in a main weapon, though, really.

In the United States armed forces, captains, lieutenants, and sergeants or any other high ranking soldiers on the ground have to be riflemen, and so cannot be automatic riflemen, grenadiers, snipers, or whatever because these positions take away from leadership ability or something.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:34 am

Well then again, in a water battle, it is easier to switch positions while maintaining control of the team. In the real military, things are much different, and commanders are more limited in what they can do.

I would use something powerful like Emperor James suggests, something powerful, but not unwieldy. I also wouldn't reccommend double wielding.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:48 pm

So you don't think its a good idea for a captain to have an MXL? Thats the best gun I have! Unless you can count my Flash-Flood.
"Rejoice not over me my enemy, for when I fall, I shall in turn arise." Micah 7:8

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:02 am

Lets put it this way. When commanding your army with the MXL, are you always at the front or back of your lines? If the MXL is too much of a burden on your commanding capabilities then I would go with the Flash Flood.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:21 am

The MXl should do fine, I was just saying that it is not ideal because of its size. The MXL however is only slightly out of range of guns, though, while the Flash Flood is in the lower extreme, and therefore the MXL is definately the better choice.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:46 pm

better yet, sell the mxl on ebay and use the money to bid on a 2500 and other misc. weapons.

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:31 pm

I do not plan on ever selling any of my soaker. EVER! Keep the MXL!
Although it is peacful and a beautiful place being among the stars, there is danger lurking in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for

- Captain Ivan Reilly,
IGA Intrepid
During conclusion speeches of the Xidian Wars

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:34 am

When we do water fights , I tend to take control of my team and I either have my Splashzooka (there are always at least two QFDs available) or my CPS 2100. I plan on getting a Flash Flood as well. I think every commander should use what's right for them.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:47 am

Anyone that would sell an MXL for a 2500 has no sense of rareness. It took me forever to get the thing off ebay. I would never sell my MXL.

Elliott

Post by Elliott » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:32 pm

I as a commander wouldn't be caught dead wondering around with my XL in the midst of a massive water fight. Though to a certain extent I suppose Commanders could fill that post as well.

Viscen Django

Post by Viscen Django » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:52 pm

I certainly can't see why either.

On my team, Team Sivayth, there is a triumvirate of three commanders. My friend Tanner is the light troops commander, my other friend Nick is the medium troops commander, and I am the heavy troops commander. We don't necessarily have assigned positions, but you could call me a heavy gunner.

(Triumvirate means "a governing body of three leaders".)

-\\-Hraesvelgr-//- Sivayth Prioritus

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:09 am

2500s are just as rare as MXLs, I believe, if not more so. Also, 2500s are superior to MXLs in most ways. That said, going to the trouble of selling the MXL to buy a 2500 would waste too much of the summer, so you might as well keep the MXL and perhaps collosus it.

Anyway, all this talk of "light" "medium" and "heavy" troops is really a bit silly when used in the context of a water war, and should be taken with a grain of salt. MXLs are not that big, and the only real limitation is its high amount of pumps, which doesn't really matter too much because it is CPS. The MXL is definitely powerful enough to be respectable, so there really is no reason for you not to use it.

pigtailsboy

Post by pigtailsboy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:43 am

Krauvasth wrote:I certainly can't see why either.

On my team, Team Sivayth, there is a triumvirate of three commanders. My friend Tanner is the light troops commander, my other friend Nick is the medium troops commander, and I am the heavy troops commander. We don't necessarily have assigned positions, but you could call me a heavy gunner.

(Triumvirate means "a governing body of three leaders".)
Like Ceasar, Pomei and some other dude.

That's a good idea there. It's a shame I don't have any friends around here to do any of this.

I don't think a large cannon is a good Idea. An AP might be best along with a small CPS or two. I like the MD6000 as it will last a wile. You don't want to reload as often as your troops.