Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water gun technology > Homemade water guns > Notable homemades
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Vickers303

UserID: 1693
Default Re: Supercannon II Analysis

That helps a lot, Silence. Thanks!
I have a question about nozzle sizes. What's the smallest optimum nozzle size for the maximum distance on a high-powered water gun (such as the supercannon) until the range starts decreasing? I want to attach a small metal ball valve so I can actually do tap shots. One-shot floods are awe-inspiring, but afterwards ... a whole load of angry, wet people charging at you, and you don't have any ammo. I was planning to use a 1/8 inch metal nozzle, but I'm a little worried about major range drops. The 1/4 inch nozzle uses up water too quickly, even with a ten-second shot time.

Arsenal: Modded Supercannon, Backpack-modified Piston Gun, WBL, Storm 300 Pistol, and a whole slew of defunct soakers in the garage.
Vickers303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
Vickers303

UserID: 1693

Just an update. I added a brass 1/2 inch ball valve to the Supercannon, so I could use barbed brass nozzles and tap shots. I bought a 5/8 inch nozzle (Yeah, I have no idea why that is possible, but it is), a 1/2 nozzle (again, no idea why the barb's diameter is smaller than the ball valve's diameter) and a 3/8 nozzle. As of now, I have only tested the 3/8 nozzle at 80 psi. Range is about 75 feet, but shot time is quite impressive (about twenty-five seconds or so, but some dropoff occurs to 50 feet). However, Silence was right. When it fired, the first five feet in front of the cannon was filled with mist. I highly doubt that the beam cam be laminated further at such high pressures, but I would greatly appreciate any advice about this.

Arsenal: Modded Supercannon, Backpack-modified Piston Gun, WBL, Storm 300 Pistol, and a whole slew of defunct soakers in the garage.
Vickers303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1

The problem is not lamination. The problem is that drag forces tear the stream apart at high velocities into a mist. There's not much you can do about it. The lower mass of a smaller stream makes it more susceptible to this; the easiest way to counter it is to make a larger stream.

I believe someone had the idea to shoot a stream of air around the stream of water such that the stream of air must first be broken up, but this idea is hard to implement and surely won't make much of a difference as the difference in density of the air and water is large.

Lowering the pressure might help too. The stream likely stops breaking up because it's velocity is reduced below some critical velocity necessary for breaking up to occur. Reducing the pressure could reduce the nozzle orifice velocity to below this critical velocity and thus save water without reducing range.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
cantab
Administrator

UserID: 1400

The most effective way to increase range is to surround the water in a thin layer of rubber ;-)
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:
cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
Teh Moron
Permanently Banned

UserID: 1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantab
The most effective way to increase range is to surround the water in a thin layer of rubber ;-)

Ba-dum TSSSS
Teh Moron is offline   Reply With Quote