Introduction page and some other ideas

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Introduction page and some other ideas

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:26 pm

I'd like to get some feedback on the introduction page. I wrote an introduction page because over the years I've noticed that a lot of people come to the forums without much knowledge of water guns, so we end up answering basic questions over and over again as opposed to discussing new things.

Most forums just scream at newbies for not using the search, but I realize that if you are completely new to something, you might not know what to search for because you are unfamiliar with the terminology. Our solution here was the introduction page, the extensive FAQs, and attempts to answer as many questions as possible in articles. Obviously, telling people to search isn't enough, so we have to try to make the answers find them. Hopefully this will counter the n00b influx that occurs each summer.

Is the introduction page helpful in your mind? What else could we add or change? The introduction and FAQ pages were critical in my mind to the new website to clean up the forums, and I want to make sure they're helpful to keep the forums clean of basic questions.

Another page I'm considering adding is a "Guide to the forums" page that will explain some basic things you should know, like the registration process, links to the rules, how to upload images, etc. Would have be helpful? Is there anything else or anything in particular the article should have?

Silence

Re: Introduction page and some other ideas

Post by Silence » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:30 pm

The introduction page is definitely a good idea. Having a set of articles like it really does make forum use easier: just link to the appropriate article and add a word or two.

And for reference, here's the introduction page (also linked to in the header).

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 pm

I think a "Guide to the Forums" page is a great idea.

Also, I don't know if this is necessary, but maybe you could also give a list of places of where you can buy new water guns. People could point out anywhere they've seen soakers for sale and have it added to the article.

Edit: Just another thought, you could also sort where to buy in different countries as well.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:24 am

We have information about where to buy in the FAQ, but it would make sense to repeat that in the introduction. Though, when I wrote that entry (I think I wrote it) I just did what I could remember from memory. If everyone could list the stores they've seen water guns in and what country they live in, I would appreciate it greatly.

I'll start working on my guide to the forums soon then. I'll post it and then ask for comments/suggestions.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:49 am

All I have to offer is in stickies in the WaterWarfare.com forums. And here. I haven't looked through those threads since they were posted, but I doubt my opinions have changed much.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:26 am

Whoops, I never actually saw the bit about where to buy in the FAQ.

Anyway, here are places I know of where you can buy water guns in New Zealand and Australia:

NZ
- The Warehouse
- Farmers
- Toyworld
- K-Mart

Australia
- Go-Lo (very limited selection)
- Target
- Big W
- Toyworld
- K-Mart

That's all I can remember right now. I'm sure there are more places that I just don't know about or haven't been to.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Wow, thanks. I could easily fill in most of the stores in North Amercia. Unfortunately, that would leave all the other countries hanging. Europe is probably the only other place where Super Soakers and Water Warrior guns are sold frequently though.

Perhaps the list should go in another article. What do you think? Thanks for the information, by the way. :)

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:24 am

I think that having a separate article on where to buy guns is a good idea, as long as there's enough content to go in it. If some of the UK members could post where they buy guns that'd be good. Then you could just link to the article in both the FAQ and intro pages.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 am

What about:
Toy Kingdom
Toy 'r' us
I've bought quite a lot of super soakers from Toy Kingdom.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:34 am

I only just discovered Toy Kingdom yesterday, and I didn't know whether it was nationwide or something specific to my city. I bought a Sneak Attack from them, (which is actually a surprisingly good gun) and their prices are better than the big department stores. Also, I had no idea that Toys 'R' Us was in Australia! I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks for the info, MarsGlorious.

To add something for the article, I have also seen WW pistols in Safeway supermarkets.