multi-port water cannon help!

General water gun discussion.
mlbp311

multi-port water cannon help!

Post by mlbp311 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:04 am

I am building a parade float and need to build four cannons that shoot water..the system does not need to be to small but needs to run off a single compressor...thanks.

JuchTurtles

Re: multi-port water cannon help!

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:42 pm

You just need to branch out with "Y" pipe parts out of a single, enormous chamber (holding like 30 liters at least). Then, you have hoses with a ball valve attached branching out, and that's what you use to fire. You can always use different size nozzles too.

Have you read or are you familier with PVC? Read the guides in the APH section if not. Also, look at other cannons like the MOARC (mother of all river cannons) on the forum.

Btw, welcome to SSC!
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm

This will, to say the least, require quite a lot. Using a compressor may not even be practical due to the sheer amounts of water needed and obviously, a huge pressurized reservoir will not work. (As water runs out, enourmous amounts of air will be needed which will take a very long time to pump.) What you may be able to do is to have a pressure chamber hooked to the tank. The chamber is open and allows water to flow into it via gravity, then is sealed so the compressor can operate. This approach will waste air but it may be possible to divert the air to a water balloon launcher afer it's use.

It would be better to have an electric pump, or a series of them, that can pump water instead of air.

By far the cheapest and simplest way to go is to have several Super Soakers whose reservoirs are detatched and instead modified to feed directly from the big water tank. This is likely the least desireable method though due to lack of continuous firing.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:20 pm

I would just get four tanks full of water, attatch a tube from the air compressor to each one, and it would push the water out. There should be a valve before the tank so you can choose whether or not its shooting.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Do you have a limited budget? if not, I would just build a massive air-piston chamber (like what is used in the SuperCannonII), and have 4 pipes and vlaves branching of of it. if money doesn't matter, make the PC as big as possible. I think mcmaster sells 16" PVC. of course, a similar setup (1 PC, 4 nozzles) could be used with a CPS chamber, but that is much harder to acheive.