Best way to freshen the look of your soakers?

General water gun discussion.
NovaBlast

Best way to freshen the look of your soakers?

Post by NovaBlast » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:25 pm

Hey guys, I was experimenting with different paints to freshen the look of some of my older soakers. Can anyone tell me a quality paint to use for this, as those i've used did just an ok job. Or is there a better process for doing this altogether?

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:14 pm

I just leave my guns if they are faded, but if I were to paint a gun a color, I'd use Rustoleum. For flats I'd use either Ultra Flat Black Krylon, or Flat White Krylon. For a metallic color, I'd use Color Place Silver or Gold. If you are looking for a shocking, bright color and have the money, go for a can of Montana Hardcore (Spanish). If you can't find it, then get the German Montana, it's almost as good. Mind you German Montana comes in Black Labels and Gold Labels, Black is gloss, and Gold is flats. Hardcore is also gloss.

Now you will want to tape off things you don't want getting painted. When you are spraying, make sure you don't go overboard, or you will drip. Go left to right, working your way down the gun. If you missed a small spot, don't worry, you can go back and get it later. Three coats later and bam, a beautiful gun.

I do a little graffiti every now and then, so I know my paints well. No real need for caps, because the stock caps work well enough to cover a soaker. :cool:

EDIT: Oh, and some people put protective finishes over their guns. Unless it has a special/detailec paint job, I see no point. It will still get a chip or two. Besides the little chips add character to the gun.
Last edited by Crashdummy on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NovaBlast

Post by NovaBlast » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:52 pm

Thank you very much, this was very informative. I was looking to try those kinds of colors out. So I should tape off my trigger and pump? wish me luck I will be painting my Monster XL.
armory: 2 FF's, HB, various water pistols, Arctic blast, Monster XL (repainted), cps4100; shield blaster 3000,Max infusion water packs (3), sneak attack

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Uh, I'd tape the nozzles (Or atleast plug them with something), resivoir cap threads, and pump shaft. Also the see-through parts if you want to be able to tell how much water is in the PCs. On some guns the pump's shaft can touch the gun, and you don't want little paint shavings gunking up the pump.