Tube Stacking (mini-writeup)

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
C-A_99

Tube Stacking (mini-writeup)

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:51 am

I've never seen this cheap trick done before on any homemades around here. It's an easy way to avoid having to use more fittings but of course, only works on areas without pressure. It is also not as secure as a regular barbed connection of course, but still seals if the tubes are sized right. I do this all the time and haven't had problems yet; the quick disconnect attachment (which doesn't even work as it's supposed to) on my CPH leaks and lets air in, while stacking these tubes cause neither air nor water leakage.

This also works on the solar shower if you're using 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing to connect to the homemade. Just slip it into the tubing of the solar shower without buying the barbs. If you'd rather have a proper connection, don't get those barbs, get a 1/2" barb to 1/2" male, a 3/8" barb to 1/2" male, and a threaded 1.2" ball valve instead. This valve will give you control over the flow of water so the backpack doesn't leak when disconnected The fact that you bought 3 seperate parts also means that you can switch out the barbs for larger or smaller tubings, but if you don't plan on getting that, find another part or set of parts that'll do the same thing for less money.

JuchTurtles

Re: Tube Stacking (mini-writeup)

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 pm

I have done that on a homemade of mine, and recently while using it, the tubes blew up and leaked lots of water. :eek:

O ya and it'z 5/8" to 1/2" in size comparision
Last edited by JuchTurtles on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Plastic barbs for theses hose connections only cost like 10-50cents and if it is low pressure you don't need hose clamps. They will hold much longer at higher pressure but if you don't have some pocket change or a ride to the store and you are in a hurry this is a good option.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Turtles: Assuming you were using the connection ONLY for low pressure situations (i.e. backpack to gun), the tubes probably disconnected (not blow up, that's not possible at low pressure) because the tubing went from large to small as the water flows. This can happen if the tubes being stacked don't tighten within each other well. However, for tubes that are actually tight when stacked, it shouldn't be a problem. (specifically the camp shower tube to 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tube mentioned above; maybe it's just the particular camp shower I have)

On a side note, I'd suggest using

Code: Select all

tags for your signature to preserve the spacing. Make sure you create it in a monospace font too. (fonts that are evenly spaced for all characters)

Adronl, I usually don't have a huge stock of hose barbs, so this comes in handy often. A female coupler or threaded ball valve is also needed to connect the hose barbs, which I don't have much of right now. Perhaps I'll be able to get more later.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:19 am

C-A_99 wrote: Adronl, I usually don't have a huge stock of hose barbs, so this comes in handy often. A female coupler or threaded ball valve is also needed to connect the hose barbs, which I don't have much of right now. Perhaps I'll be able to get more later.
I am just talking about a male to male plastic barb fitting strictly for tube to tube connect.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Sorry I'm getting back so late.
C-A_99 wrote:Turtles: Assuming you were using the connection ONLY for low pressure situations (i.e. backpack to gun), the tubes probably disconnected (not blow up, that's not possible at low pressure) because the tubing went from large to small as the water flows.
It was in higher pressure (because the water carrier has the pump) and it pumps the water down the tube. I changed it a little and now it seems to work.

Thanks for the advice
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:25 pm

At higher pressures, clamps, barbs, and teflon tape should always be used. The only exception is the nozzle which needs to be switched often. (unless it's a more permanent nozzle) At lower pressures, I avoid using clamps and teflon tape to make things easier. For threads, just tighten it enough so that the average user won't be able to take it out. (such as if you have others using your homemade weaponry)

As I mentioned in my first post, I got a quick disconnect attachment instead of a hose barb for my CPH for whatever reason. The thing is actually slower to attach since there is a tight O-ring inside that must be sealed up with the tube, and even then, it can still leak in air. I've never had any of those problems with stacked tubes. (as long as the tubes are able to connect tightly)

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:59 pm

I might try a clamp, but I already am using a barb and teflon tape.

Click here to go to My Homemade Water Gun.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Your backpack is pressurized on your homemade, so you will definately need clamps on the tubing that connects to the gun, otherwise it will leak. In my first post, I was talking about regular backpacks that don't hold any pressure, in which case, tube stacking would work fine.