Hiyah

General water gun discussion.
Spedy

Hiyah

Post by Spedy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:02 am

I just found this site today. I didn;t know people were so into water gunning!

Previously my favorite guns were ones like the Vaporizer, a large tank and no pressurizing needed. But now I've got an arctic blast (nothing better available at the local target)
and am planning on a colossus mod. Just gotta wait for my dremel (spelling?) to recharge, then I'm ready.

I've looked at alot of the plans on this site and I'll be giving my modded arctic blast to the neighbor watergunner (one of the few in this neighborhood...) once I get a better gun made.

What would you recommend as a good starting home-made? Thanks!

Silence

Re: Hiyah

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central! :)

The air pressure homemade is the best beginner water gun simply because it has such a comprehensive build tutorial. You won't have much more difficulty building a constant pressure/range water gun like SuperCPS because the its design is also straightforward; however, you will probably want to refer to the APH build guide along the way. It has a lot of information that should be useful when building any water gun.

I'd recommend building either an APH or a CPS homemade. Both are simple. The APH will be a little more straightforward.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:24 pm

The CPH has been agreed on as more battle practical, requiring substaintially less pumping and, as its name implies, stays at constant pressure. The only difference in building difficulty is that with CPH's, you'll need to order LRT online at http://www.mcmaster.com as well as use hose barbs and clips. (which are pretty easy if everything goes smoothly) With CPH's, you don't need to work with large diameter piping as in APH's. Both are near the same difficulty anyway.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:52 pm

Welcome to SSC!

You'd be surprised by how many emails I get from people surprised there is a water gun community. We're a small but active community.

SilentGuy's spelled it out for you. Aside from my very detailed guide for the APH, the APH is a little more straightforward because you don't have to order any parts. If you don't mind ordering parts you'll probably find that you like the SuperCPS design better. There are some overlap with extra parts so you should be able to build both without spending a great deal.

Spedy

Post by Spedy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Hmm... the "quick reply" doesn't seem to be working for me.

Do you think that a CP chamber made of 3 layers of bike inner tube would work? I have a bunch leftover from the Colossus mod, and was wondering if it was possible (cheaper is better for my rather small budget). All I would need to do is run down to lowes to pick up the other stuff.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:00 am

Inner tube is far too weak to be used on its own - even many more layers (which are possible if they're stretched) would only generate low pressure. If you live in the United States, there should be no problem ordering latex rubber tubing from McMaster-Carr in the sizes outlined in the article. Plus, if you live on the East Coast (or close to it), you should have practically overnight shipping automatically.

If you're running Firefox with NoScript, or have any other security setup that disables JavaScript by default, you may have to enable JavaScript for sscentral.org or forums.sscentral.org. The latest few releases of vBulletin, along with this forum skin, support a lot of slick features through asynchronous JavaScript and XML (AJAX).

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:45 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

If you live in the US and can buy stuff online without problems, just buy some latex rubber tubing from McMaster. Having used the stuff, I can tell you it is the right material for a CPS chamber: expansive, cheap, powerful. A single layer should get about 40 feet in range; multiple can get more.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Spedy

Post by Spedy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:40 am

I guess I'll go w/ the vinyl tubing (when I have enough cash for a CPS gun. sheesh large pipe is expensive around here..) Just finished modding my Arctic Blast, I had to re-adjust the inner tube colossus layers a bit (one part of the PC would inflate like a balloon while the other wouldn't get any expansion at all). I'm waiting for the gorilla glue to cure for the modified nozzle. It just shoots off w/o any glue...
I'm thinking of putting on a larger pump handle as well.

Thanks for the tips ppl.
Last edited by Spedy on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:18 am

Epoxy is probably a better idea for those nozzles since its guaranteed to seal (given its applied correctly), unlike gorilla which is not designed to seal.

Spedy

Post by Spedy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:28 am

C-A_99 wrote:Epoxy is probably a better idea for those nozzles since its guaranteed to seal (given its applied correctly), unlike gorilla which is not designed to seal.
hmm. Well, If this doesn;t seal I'll just remove it and re-glue w/ epoxy. It was a bit late for me to go epoxy-shopping anyway (I would have bought the epoxy on the parts trip but I wasn't expecting to have to use glue)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Vinyl tubing won't stretch. At least, not enough. "Latex rubber tubing," on the other hand, expands to 750% of the original diameter and 300% of the original length when filled completely. Vinyl tubing is used for flexible hoses that don't expand - for example, they're a good choice for connecting a backpack water tank and a water gun.

Spedy

Post by Spedy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:11 pm

SilentGuy wrote:Vinyl tubing won't stretch. At least, not enough. "Latex rubber tubing," on the other hand, expands to 750% of the original diameter and 300% of the original length when filled completely. Vinyl tubing is used for flexible hoses that don't expand - for example, they're a good choice for connecting a backpack water tank and a water gun.
I meant the LRT. I need to straiten out my knowledge of piping names...

The gorilla glue sealed up fine. I can't wait test out my modded gun in the next water fight
:D

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Congrats on the successful mod! If you can't wait to test your gun, don't. Do some range and output measurements to see how much it actually improved.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Spedy

Post by Spedy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:59 pm

I'll be sure to do that. Though I honestly don;t know what the origional range/output was lol.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Each water gun is likely to have performance slightly off the average, but stock performance is posted in the iSoaker.com reviews. And thanks for the offer of measuring! :cool: