Remotely Operated Water Deployment You-nit: ROWDY

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
PeZ

Remotely Operated Water Deployment You-nit: ROWDY

Post by PeZ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Hello, I'm new to homeade water guns and stuff, but I need some help. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how to make a cheap remote operated water deployment system. Here's my problem.

My dorm room is on the second floor and every night there is a large group of people who hang out in front of the dorms, chatting and being loud. The building coordinator can only tell them to go away every night. We are not allowed to shoot water guns out of the window, as that constitutes "throwing something out the window" [which ends in a 50$ fine.] So now, we are trying to devise a way to make something to leave in the bushes, that would effectively wet people, forcing them to leave. We need it to be remotely operated, [or operated by a button on a very long cord.] We're trying to stay under 50$, because at that point it just becomes worth shooting them with some SSs.

So we're trying to use a lot of stuff we have around here, but we arent opposed to buying stuff. We can easily get our hands on some buckets, a water cooler jug, some pv, a bicycle pump, multiple bicycles, some box fans, and a pile of ramen noodles. We were originally trying to rig up something with the water cooler jug and the bicycle pump, but we attend a liberal arts college, so there are not many engineering minds around.

We can set up some kinda system where a few people can operate it from behind the building, with some pipes running to the front of the building... Originally we thought about using a bicycle to power a pump, with some kind of sprinkler thing on the end of a the end of some pvc. This is all just general, but you get the idea.

It must be remotely operated just so the people out front do not know who's doing it. We're hoping to make something somewhat concealable, quick to move, and easily storeable......but whatever. Any ideas are welcome!

Thank in advance
PeZ
Last edited by PeZ on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 pm

I imagine after one use, your device would get smashed by the angry and wet group. It won't be hard to find after you've used it.

It's possible to do, but it may not be the best solution.

I would suggest a pre-pressurized water chamber attached onto an electric solenoid sprinkler valve. Run power through the soleniod remotely, and the valve will open soaking in the general forward direction.

It wouldn't be too expensive, but I still expect it would get wrecked.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

PeZ

Post by PeZ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:44 pm

Thanks for such a fast response. We're hoping to make something that may appear to be a sprinkler or such, as we dont think anyone would "attack" a sprinkler. However, we are aware that it may be destroyed, that's why we're trying to keep a low budget.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:18 pm

The easiest thing to do would be to go electronic and use a sprinkler valve and a remote activator with a nozzle pointed right at the people and a good spread. You'll just need to attach the set up to a hose. I don't know too much about electronics and radio, so you should leave that to someone else, perhaps someone who does know about it on campus.

A simpler device without radio can also be set up. The best thing to do in that case would be to get some sort of relay to prevent from running the 9 volt current needed for the sprinkler valve over too long of a wire. If you don't know about simple electric relays however, it would be better to just have a switch on a long wire. ;)

Hope this helped. Let us know if you have any other questions.

waterzooka

Sprinkler for Pest Control

Post by waterzooka » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:00 am

I have used something like this for raccoons before and it was very successful. Although, building something really cool (and powerful) would be more fun.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/contec ... nkler.html

Also, this thing cost about $60-$70 dollars.

Worst case scenario - next time they start chatting and being loud, take a break from studying, go outside, socialize and make some new friends. ;)

Just a thought.