Monster XL

General water gun discussion.
laboye

Monster XL

Post by laboye » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi,

I would like to hear (read, actually) some personal opinions on the Monster XL water gun. I like it; its features seem good; and I like the bipod...

However, I would like to hear/read some reviews from people that own/have tried this gun. If I were given the opportunity to purchase one for under or around $50USD, should I buy it?

-Eddie

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:14 pm

The Monster XL is a horrible soaker, requiring 60 pumps and having little range for such a large soaker. It is too clumsy to move around with, and chances are that you'll get hit before you kill anybody else. Read the thread entitled "CPS 2000s and Monster XLs" for more information. It's one of the most overrated soakers, selling for upwards of $300 (but if you actually find a $50 one, buy it and sell it for $300 on eBay), while experienced warriors for the most part despise it.

laboye

Post by laboye » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:26 pm

I've read about the clumsiness and short range. However, against the younger ones in my block, the intimidation factor should be good!; OK, thats one review. I'd like some more now! :D

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:25 pm

I would not consider using the Super Soaker Monster XL for many reasons. In fact, if I saw one available for $50, my first reason to buy it would be to resell it on eBay for several times that much.

Intimidation is useful, but I believe far overstated in the case of a Monster XL. Intimidation can't make up for cold hard facts. The Monster XL is a poor performing water gun with low range, many pumps, and not too good of a capacity. Big, but a poor water gun. I myself laugh when I see an Monster XL user in a war, simply because they're generally poorly informed when it comes to water guns.

I'm still waiting for a few Monster XL fans to come on and give their two cents (ZOCCOZ especially)...

Read iSoaker's review for more information: http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/soaker_s ... =monsterXL

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:39 pm

I have one personally, and if given the chance I would not pay money for it. The performance sucks, it's a pain the the ass to disassemble and mod, and it's prone to breakage. But then again, I got mine for free, so I'm not gonna complain. Build a homemade; they're generally cheaper and have great performance.

EDIT: I must, however, comment on the potential of this gun. You COULD install a custom higher-capacity pump, a backpack reservoir, and give it a collosus mod. This would however be somewhat impractical because it would be impractical to use unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger. (Predator Arnold, not Gov'ner Arnold)

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:33 am

SilentGuy wrote:The Monster XL is a horrible soaker, requiring 60 pumps and having little range for such a large soaker.
I'm still waiting for a few Monster XL fans to come on and give their two cents (ZOCCOZ especially)...

I think thats my cue to defend the MXLs honor. ;)

Pumps on the Monster XL are 45 max. Which isn't bad since it has a PC twice the size of other CPS cannons. To get the same shot time like other CPS cannons, 20 pumps should be enough.
Thing is, Monster XLs are crap shoots and you don't know how it will perform untill you used it. Some are realy good shooting around 40 feet making a CPS 1500 look bad, while some are realy bad shooting around 30 feet making the CPS 2100 look better. I should point out that most experienced users who dispise the Monster XL don't have nor have ever used an Monster XL even less multiple models. So they usualy got their info from a friend of a friend.

Weight is not just the problem, if not more balance. It has the backweight of 1 MX, while having the frontweight of 2 MXs. And I think thats what will give most users a transportation problem. Size whise, the MXL is not for everyone. Same like some Computers are not strong enough to play certain games, some soaker users are not strong enough to play with a MXL. One needs at least a Mesamorph(bulky muscular athlete) body typ and the correct age to carry a MXL comfortably. If that applies to the user, then the MXL size remains someone elses problem.

I am very pleased with the Monster XL I have at the moment. 41 pumps and it shoots 40 feet on its 11.5X+11.5X nozzle which shoots 2-3 seconds. Thats good stock soaker performance in my book.
So yeah, depending on what Monster XL model one gets, the opion can greatly differ.
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:38 am

I understand your points, but a major component of the argument against MXLs concerns its performance for its size. I understand that you are happy with running and dodging while carrying a MXL, but most people won't want to lug around such a beast. Its performance is only average for a CPS weapon, and though that is good, the point is that you can get CPS soakers that perform just as well for much less maneuverability--and for much lesser price.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:58 am

Just edited my post to include the weight issue. So yeah, to take the PC gaming metaphor again, the Monster XL is a "game" that requires a certain GHz. So its certainly not compatible for everyone. And it certainly doesn't mean that every game is bug-less(long shooting distance).
Perhaps there should be like an optimal users reqirement like "Userweight 180 LBS or higher".
But my main point is, that the Monster XL can not be officialy declared as a to heavy for everyone, 25 feet shooting, way to many pumps, $250 piece of plastic soaker. The Monster XLs situation is abit more complex. Starting from the different model performance, to shot time/pumping ratio, or what would be considered "to heavy" in the eyes of users with varing weight classes. At the end I think we all can agree that the Monster XL is NOT for everyone, but just for some which will include some veterans.

Price point whise, ebay is usualy not the best example to take if nome nut spends $250 for it. Now having said that, if its $90 CAN for a Monster XL in retail, or $30 CAN for a Flash Flood in retail. My pick is the Monster XL. And not just for the reselling value. I think I mentioned at isoaker forum that shooting a Monster XL at its largest dual nozzle settings would cancel out 4 shooting Flash Flood nozzles in a soakfest.
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adhockeykid

Post by Adhockeykid » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:10 am

yeah. well, it's really annoying because now i don't know if my HWO has 2 CPS 2000s or 2 Monster xls(plz say 2000s plz say 2000s!)
"It's either you pass and live, or fail and die."
-Deric

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:15 am

My main problems with it are wieght, range, capacity, and number of pumps. Since all the others have been addressed, I will complain about the capacity. Considering it has a 40 oz. pressure chamber, and as ZOCCOZ says it emptys it in ~3 seconds, you would expect a little more than a mere 100 oz...

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 am

Soakerhunter wrote:My main problems with it are wieght, range, capacity, and number of pumps. Since all the others have been addressed, I will complain about the capacity. Considering it has a 40 oz. pressure chamber, and as ZOCCOZ says it emptys it in ~3 seconds, you would expect a little more than a mere 100 oz...

I agree that the largest setting is short in relative terms. But then again, it features twice the shot time of the 20X CPS 2500 setting since it has twice the size of the CPS 2500 PC. My measuring cup got me around 12.5X+12.5X on the Monster XL. With those outputs, 2 solid seconds are ok, so are the 39-41 pumps.

I don't have all the output measuremets in my head, but once I write that Monster XL review for my practical Water gun guide, it should be all there.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:00 am

I agree that this is a very complex issue and that it is definitely not suitable for all users (it is clearly suitable for you, at least). I think I'll just leave it at that...

The point is, you would not catch me sitting around with a MXL in my hands.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:14 am

I should point out that most experienced users who dispise the Monster XL don't have nor have ever used an Monster XL even less multiple models. So they usualy got their info from a friend of a friend.
From what I've seen, most experienced users have shot an MXL, plus have used many different guns of many different types and classes.

In a soakfest, an MXL is a pretty good gun due to the dual nozzle output. But that's about it. Even in a soakfest, a good user with long range will keep the MXL far enough away to nullify the impact of the MXL output. Plus, there are guns which can even put the MXL output to shame. A homemade riot blast can easily double that output, and a water launcher can, in some cases, actually come close to tripling it.

In 1HK, well, you just plain don't see MXLs in 1HK unless the enemy is out of other guns.

Intimidation means nothing. When you're facing an enemy that will stand with little fear, even face down pneumatic artillery, you've got to rely on skill, tactics, and your gun.

MXL users need upper body strength. However, there can be strong users who can't use it. Those who have extremely strong legs, yet no upper body, obviously have trouble. And it is easer to run with lower, not upper, body strength if you have the option.

However, I would pick one up for $50, since I could make an excellent profit selling that high.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

laboye

Post by laboye » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:15 am

OK, so it seems the major issue lies in its size-to-power ratio. That is, it is not powerful enough for how big it is. What with my sniping and all, I would appreciate the bipod, but if I cannot get good shots from a couple of pumps, I shall not purchase it. Thanks for the input guys!

@Adhockeykid: Go with the CPS 2000s, much better bang for the buck/size.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:12 am

I think it would be a lot better with a backpack reservoir and electric pump...

EDIT: stupid word filters :p