what if

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
da_respect

what if

Post by da_respect » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:23 pm

what if you made a catapult or slingshot on wheels..? :cool:

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Catapults aren't practical - and if it were big enough to put on wheels it would be even less so.

Slingshots might be usable, but again if you had them on wheels they would be too big - I have seen images of a slingshot which is basically a huge piece of elastic where you loop each end of it around a foot (while on your back), and you load and fire it using your hands - but it's not good to be like that in water warfare.

Anything wheeled would take up huge amounts of space, and would be less transportable than a non-wheeled one (unless you plan to tow the wheeled beast behind your car if the war isn't up your street)

The only really practical water ballon launch methods are an air powered launcher, a lacross stick or one of the long plastic arms that you can sometimes find for picking up and hurling tennis balls for dogs (more portable than a lacross stick - but less effective)
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:54 pm

da_respect, welcome to SSCentral, but please make sure you've read the forum guidelines before posting. Make sure you use descriptive headings and that you have enough to add to a thread before starting one. Questions are fine, but random thoughts aren't really.

Catapults are interesting to consider, but not really practical, as has been said already. If you've got a good idea for one, though, let's discuss it.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

da_respect

ok..

Post by da_respect » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:05 pm

NOT a slingshot but if a cannon powered by elastic bands i have made one but only for small projectiles little water ballons. it goes about 35ft not bad for elastic bands tell me what you think?

:confused:

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:39 pm

A 35ft range is achievable with many waterguns - a single water balloon is too easily dodged relative to this - the point of a wbl is to gain extra range over a normal watergun/throw waterbomb- most people could throw a water ballon more than 35 ft.

Aviod leaving blank lines in posts like you have - it adds nothing.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:59 pm

I've said this many times and I'll say it again: catapults, trebuchets, and other siege engines are completely useless in water fights.

That opinion comes from personal experience with not only catapults, but trebuchets and slingshots as well. The first issue is accuracy - can you hit a target from a distance with a catapult accurately and repeatedly? The answer simply is no for most people, unless they make a precision instrument, in which case you likely will be able to hit the same target repeatedly. For the device to be precise, you would also have to exert a consistent amount of force in each shot, which is simply not very likely when you use the force from people. Moving targets would be even harder to hit. In my experience (and my attempts as well), the only people who will get hit by catapults are those why try to get hit, and believe me, it takes effort to get hit.

The second issue is construction. Are you going to construct a good catapult? Yes, you can fairly easily in reality. Most people will not have the knot tying ability however. My Boy Scout troop has made catapults year after year and I can say one thing if anything - only the best at knots will do. Typically those people are adults.

The final issue is powering the device. To get a great distance of 200 or more meters, you will need a lot of man-power. One of my troops catapults probably shot 300 meters, but it took 8 people pulling to get that power! Most shots broke in the piece holding the water balloon anyway, so most of that power was wasted.

Admittedly, a catapult would probably be useful if it was easily targeted as to bombard the enemy's base. However, the accuracy, power consistency, and water-balloon destruction in the bucket problems make that goal near impossible. Most people don't use a real structure for a base in my experience anyway, and if they do a catapult usually won't be able to destroy it unless they shot heavier objects like rocks.

Simply put, catapults and such are not for water fights as we typically see them. If you want to make a neat device to play with, catapults would be great, but they're not for water fights.

That 35 feet is also beaten by most water guns, as joanna mentioned. You would be much better off with a water gun if your slingshot can only manage that sort of distance. The advantages of water balloon launchers of all sorts is the distance, and if you don't get that distance you will be beaten by most water guns with relative ease.

kevinthenerd

Post by kevinthenerd » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:33 am

Ben wrote:I've said this many times and I'll say it again: catapults, trebuchets, and other siege engines are completely useless in water fights.
They won't get you an easy win, but they're the weapon of choice when you want crazy bragging rights in the unlikely event that you do.

A very large, well-designed trebuchet is perfect for defending a position. You can't beat the consistency of a gravity-powered one.
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.