obama wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
used man

obama wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by used man » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 am

In my opinion thisa is the best news in eight years!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
"dont mess with used man!"-sloganizer.net
thanks to dx for link to website

cantab

Re: obama wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by cantab » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:45 am

Seconded. I was up until 4:30am UK time. When he took Ohio I knew he'd almost certainly take the presidency, but still had to wait before 4am when the east coast states declared.

Though the democrats don't have as big a majority in the Senate as they might like. Whether the republicans will try and use that (by filibustering loads of stuff) remains to be seen.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:33 am

Definitely a well-deserved win, but the popular vote was closer than expected. Oh well.

I volunteered again this year, doing lots of canvassing. I've never seen so many volunteers...the telephoning office was packed with 30 people the last few days, making calls throughout the state. I saw several canvassing parties each day; our house was canvassed several times, and some houses were canvassed three times in one day. The organization is still terrible, as there are Republican converts on the lists of registered Democrats who never get weeded out, so we have to feel their heat every year. And honestly, I'd rather just visit every house, not just registered Dems' houses, since we'll still be talking to many more Democrats than Republicans.

My French teacher had gotten her third call for the day and she was exasperated with telling them she was voting for Obama. But she had to end that call early...to answer the canvassers at her door.

Edit: Here's the one we're worried about...district 5 on this page. Taking out a through-and-through Republican Virginia, in a district gerrymandered to favor the Republicans, is nigh on impossible. And just listen to his accent and his reasoning in any number of debates. Couple that with deceptive ads (making Perriello look like a thug) and having no retorts other than calling his opponent "New York slick" all the time isn't very convincing.

I'm not too concerned about 60 seats in the Senate. There's no way we could have gotten that, especially if you consider Joe Lieberman to be a Republican, not a Democrat. And invoking cloture every time (using 60 votes to cut off filibusters) isn't very democratic.

Edit again: Anyway, I'm glad to see you guys have all been watching this election. Especially on the other side of the pond. :cool:
Last edited by Silence on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:21 pm

They should make election signs that say "I'm voting for ____, now leave me alone."

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:31 am

Well, you could just put a regular sign in your yard. We didn't bother knocking on doors with McCain signs, and we were pretty sure we didn't need to knock on doors with Obama signs, either (although we did anyway to provide information, etc.). Vice versa for Republican canvassers.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:31 am

Pretty much the rest of the world wanted Obama to win.

We can't afford more conservatives in government. Just imagine what would have happened if McCain died. Then, Sarah Palin would be president. :eek:

Let's hope that Obama puts huge restrictions on firearms. Australia banned most guns a long time ago. That was a good move. That's probably the reason why Australia is so much safer.

I think I heard somewhere that a lot Obama supporters were voting early and there were McCain supporters protesting against it. "How dare you carry out your democratic right". :D
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm

MarsGlorious wrote:Pretty much the rest of the world wanted Obama to win.

We can't afford more conservatives in government. Just imagine what would have happened if McCain died. Then, Sarah Palin would be president. :eek:
Indeed. McCain's choice of Palin as running mate for the campaign was understandable, though she probably threw more votes away from moderates than she gained from core republicans. However, I think her very high profile got people thinking about what the Vice-President actually DOES. When they realised that the VP's job is to cover for the President if they cannot do their duties (illness, death, whatever) then I think people saw that that would be a disaster.
Let's hope that Obama puts huge restrictions on firearms. Australia banned most guns a long time ago. That was a good move. That's probably the reason why Australia is so much safer.
No, let's not. That would provoke a major backlash and almost certainly mean the term after Obama's is Republican. it seems to me that in the USA, gun control is a cultural issue more so than a security/crime prevention one. It would be almost as bad as putting "huge restrictions on" alcohol - if it was purely about public safety, alcohol would surely be banned, but there are other reasons not to.
I think I heard somewhere that a lot Obama supporters were voting early and there were McCain supporters protesting against it. "How dare you carry out your democratic right". :D
I'm not sure voting early should be a democratic right. It has advantages and drawbacks. Suppose a candidate knows there is bad stuff about them, and that their opponent might find it and make it public. That candidate could encourage people to vote early for them, so that they've cast their vote before the bad stuff becomes known.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:25 pm

Well, the general consensus is that McCain became a puppet of the Republican Party for the campaign. For example, he's pro-choice, whereas Palin has been a pentecostal Christian. He lost most of the debates because he was trying to justify either changed views (like Mitt Romney) or poor views (like supporting the war in Iraq and arguing for laissez-faire economics in a recession).

Obama's definitely popular outside the United States, but that's ignored by a lot of the locals. So in a sense, he would have been a better candidate even if McCain had won by, say, 5%. That seems undemocratic and politically incorrect, but frankly, many voters are misguided.
cantab wrote:I'm not sure voting early should be a democratic right. It has advantages and drawbacks. Suppose a candidate knows there is bad stuff about them, and that their opponent might find it and make it public. That candidate could encourage people to vote early for them, so that they've cast their vote before the bad stuff becomes known.
I don't really have a problem with early voting, although it never happened in my state except through absentee ballots. It's probably not really necessary and creates a bit of chaos, though.

Interestingly, Ted Stevens, the incumbent Alaska senator who was indicted for seven corruption felonies a week before, is nearly tied with his challenger. And incumbent representative Don Young, who was accused of corruption two years ago, is leading his race. Evidently you can unload all the dirt you want to and partisans won't change their minds.