Range

General water gun discussion.
Storm

Post by Storm » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:19 pm

What weapon has the best range?
It can be homemade or modded. Just what has the best range?
Storm

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:45 pm

From what I hear, Dooms homemade has very good range. Something like 70 feet. There are a couple far shooting soakers out there too. The cps 2000 mk1, of course, is know for far range. Another gun is the 21000. When the 2100 is K-modded it gets huge range that it didn't have before. Most cps guns have the better range. Air pressure and piston pressure Don't come close. :D

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

blaze

Post by blaze » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:57 pm

70 feet? WHOA you're completely off. More like 60 on a 1/4" nozzle, from what he's told me. Yeah I made a homemade kind of like Dooms, but with a few changes and a completely different backpack. Anyways, I'm not at home so I can't make my nozzles (I just finished the gun completely today) but when I tested it from where I was, the 3/4" riot blast shot 30 feet to the largest puddle and 36 feet to the last drop, just like Doom told me his did over AIM. 36 feet for a riot blast thats 8 feet wide at the end of the blast is awesome. And it has a great kick too.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 pm

I remember seeing somewhere that it shot 70 feet but I guess im wrong. Sorry about the false info. :P

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:03 am

Originally posted by nibordude@Jun 29 2004, 06:04 PM
I remember seeing somewhere that it shot 70 feet but I guess im wrong. Sorry about the false info. :P
It is not false; Dooms Homemade can shoot 70 feet. For a homemade that would be your best range. For a Super Soaker Brand, it would be the CPS 2500/2000. Contrary to popular belief, the Max-D Series will not bypass the line of range CPS weaponry has set. But for the best stock gun... try the X-Stream Machines; they get about a 70-75 foot range if you are strong, since these guns are piston type. Range is an important factor in Water Warfare, especially for snipers. But, range is also important if you are on the top end of a hill firing down you would have the advantage. If you wish to seek the sniper profession, you will need a long range blaster. I will have an article up on my website soon about sniping, from a sniper :P . Expect that link soon. Good luck!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:46 pm

Uhh, unless I just improved the range by 10 feet I don't think it shoots quite 70 feet. If it had more pressure, a slightly changed design and the straws it could shoot 70 feet. It really is more like 60 max, mid 50s easy as it currently is. 70 is a lot more than you'd think, go out, measure 70 feet and then compare it to 50. Big difference, and you'll need a big difference in design to get that.

However, don't think that 60 is the max range for anything. I could make a gun shoot 150 feet if I had the money. That would not be useful though. Battle-ready weapons are what we need. It will take some development to make a good battle-ready gun that can shoot 70 feet, but it's completely possible. These are just the first generation of homemades, they will get better. ;)

blaze

Post by blaze » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:56 pm

Yeah my homemade's range goes from 45-55 feet on its nozzles, 5x, 10x, and 20x. Doom for the straws did you just take a bunch of straws and shove them in the nozzle? If I taped the straws together that would stop them from slipping into the PCs, and I could do just that. Or should I use mesh instead?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:36 pm

Yep, I jammed straws down it. I tried to put a "pretty" number of them in there, one that is even mathematically (if you know what I mean). I would use the mesh to stop the straws from moving. Put the mesh in the nozzle like the washer went in the tee, inbetween the PVC and the attachment. That should keep the straws from moving around. They won't slip into the PC, or even past the valve, I know because I've tried them without anything to hold them in. Taping them together was one of the first things I tried to keep them in btw. The middle ones blew out and then more shots got even more of them off the tape I used and out the nozzle. It wasn't working and I didn't want to make it so that it would use so much tape it would hurt the stream instead of help it. Mesh is your best option to keep them in, just don't do it permanently because you might want to change the straws or remove crud from the mesh filters because the gun doesn't have filters to keep the bad stuff out (unless you added some).