Some Sort Of Aiming Device

Threads about water gun modifications.
Codex

Post by Codex » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:13 pm

Hi!

I thought of adding some sort of aiming device to my soaker. Now I have already taped a laser pointer to it and roughly adjusted it. This is already quite cool and works quite well but pressing the laser button for aiming within a battle just take too much time. Also a laser-point is not easy to spot in daylight.

So I thought of other possibilitys. One is just to use something like notch and bead sight for aiming and glueing something like that on top of the soaker. Another is to get a cheap scope and attach it to the soaker somehow. However it would be great to still be able to do some fine adjusting of the aiming device after it is fixed to the soaker.

Has anybody already done something like this and give me some more tips / ideas?

thanks
Codex

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:32 pm

The main problem most people run into when they try to construct an aiming device is that you don't really need one. When are you seriosuly goign to shoot at some one from more than 35 feet away. After that, most soaker become in accurate, and an aiming device isn't really necessary.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:40 pm

Here's some links that might interest you.

http://archives.sscentral.net/gng/snipertactics.htm
http://www.toothpickmatt.netfirms.com/S ... index.html

The first link is all about using a scope on a soaker. That site also has a lot of info about sniping mods and such.

The second link shows a soaker with a piece of PVC pipe used as a sight. That's a cheap and good way to get an aiming device.

Kurayamino101

Post by Kurayamino101 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:31 am

I always thought of using a flip-up ladder sight, like the ones on grenade launchers. They could be useful for getting the most range and accuracy for the K modded guns.

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:28 am

I think a cheap red dot scope from walmart should suffice. You arent really long distance sniping (70+ ft), and red dots are excellent for quick target acquisition. cheap too, a quality red dot (except the aimpoint Hey, that's funny.) doesn't cost as much as a quality magnifying scope.
http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:51 am

Yeah, you Don't need much of a magnifier, however, no matter what soaker you use, and what aiming device, it should be slanted so that it gets good acuracy at almost full range. I.e. 30-35 feet. after about 20 feet, the stream drops below the 0 degree mark if your soaker is the plain, so the scope will probably point at a very steep angle.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:39 pm

I bought a Pocket Maglite at Lowe's last month, I figured that if you take some red plastic wrap and put it over so that it would make it show red instead of white, then I turned it to the smallest setting. It works great.
I don't check this forum anymore.

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:22 pm

wait I have an idea. you could zero in your scope at different ranges (20ft, 30ft, 40ft) and mark them on your scope, so it would be accurate at all different ranges. the only problem is estimating what range your opponent is at so you would know which mark to use.

edit: I found some pictures of the ladder sight they use for m203 launchers.

"This is flipped up, and the launcher is sighted by sighting through the ladder and matching the correct rung (marked with a distance, e.g. 100m) with the top of the front sight post of the rifle." taken from that site.

you could buy one, but you'd have to zero it in according to the power of your soaker and change the rungs if needed.
http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:28 pm

That would be expensive. You'd also have to point the scope down on a soaker, remember that. ;)

I really don't think that aiming devices are necessary unless you have a split second shot time. You can adjust your soaker towards your target if you miss most of the time. Something to help probably would though.

4036Douglas

Post by 4036Douglas » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:43 pm

I recently added a laser pointer to my CPS 4100. I put it on the little knob where the supercharger would go. Just duct taped it on there. It works pretty well at night, but I'm sure I could do without it.
This is not a test! EVACUATE THIS POST IMMEDIATLY!!!

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:25 pm

You know what works great for me? I took a leftover peice of PVC pipe from my Handle Mod, I cut it so it was three inches long, then I put orange (I couldn't find red string) Nylon string in an X shape on one end, then I duck taped it to the pipe.

It's not first class, but it works wonders on my 2100.
I don't check this forum anymore.

Codex

Post by Codex » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:38 pm

Hi again!

I went for the red-dot sight. It works just great for my CPS 1500. You can do some serious sniping that way. I bet I can hit a small cup at a distance of 10m with just one short push of the trigger (no aiming in) with that scope.

I have a picture attached here...

Greetings
Codex
Attachments
CPS1500.jpg
CPS1500.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 1822 times

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:58 pm

Originally posted by ChaosKnight+Jun 6 2004, 11:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChaosKnight @ Jun 6 2004, 11:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> I think a cheap red dot scope from walmart should suffice. You arent really long distance sniping (70+ ft), and red dots are excellent for quick target acquisition. cheap too, a quality red dot (except the aimpoint Hey, that's funny.) doesn't cost as much as a quality magnifying scope. [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Kurayamino101
@Jun 6 2004, 9:31 PM
I always thought of using a flip-up ladder sight, like the ones on grenade launchers. They could be useful for getting the most range and accuracy for the K modded guns.[/quote]
the problem with a red dot sight is you have to adjust it for each range you'll be shooting at. personally, I like the idea of a flip-up ladder sight, seeing as how the stream usually has a curved trajectory much like a launchable grenade. by the way nice paintjob codex!
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:12 pm

Yeah, that's a really nice pic. I like the color and the scope placement. Can we use it in the site gallery that we're developing?

Codex

Post by Codex » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:30 am

Sure, you can use it if you like...

Greetings
Codex