Archive mode to start in December

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

Archive mode to start in December

Post by SSCBen » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am

As had been detailed before, these forums are too old to maintain well. When I have the time in December, I will disable new posts and new user registrations and set up some appropriate notices to funnel those interested in water gun discussions to WaterWar.net.

It's been a good 8 years, but everything must come to an end, and this is the end of the SSC forums. This also means the end of active development of the SSC website, which admittedly has not been updated much in the past few years.

Please note that the forums will remain online for as long as I can manage. They will merely be set up as an archive. I do not guarantee that the forums will remain online indefinitely, so please backup anything you find has value.

atvan

Re: Archive mode to start in December

Post by atvan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 pm

:(

This site really always had a feel that iSn/WWn never did. This was the place to talk tech and new inovations, and inspire so many. Hopefully, we can eventually find a way to get the forum converted to phpBB, and migrated to WWn.

Oh, and it makes me sad that the sad face will never get fixed.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I intentionally removed the sad face because when it had been used in the past generally was not constructive. I've fixed it now.

I agree that SSC did and does feel different than other places. The current iteration of the forums is the result of a lot of work my brother and I did in Dec. 2007 and Jan. 2008. Before then, I don't think the forum felt quite this good except for during SSC v2 and parts of SSC v3 before vBulletin.

But, unfortunately the reality is that this forum is becoming too old. I had to turn off error messages to get the forum to run properly under the new version of PHP. This indicates to me that the forum will not last forever. I'll look into conversion to phpBB when that time comes. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the current phpBB feel (I prefer simpler forums like punBB now), but I think with the right tweaks WaterWar.net will be a great home.

Edit: Don't underestimate how difficult this is for me. One of the implicit goals in starting SSC was to create a stable hub for the community. Most people here don't know how volatile the community was between 2001 and 2003. I'm happy to have kept the forum running for the 8 years I have.
Last edited by SSCBen on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Oh well, nothing lasts forever I guess. This place was really suffering though, so maybe it's for the best. It's a shame though, because this place used to be so active; even as recently as when I joined, there was a lot of stuff going on.

May the legacy of SSC ever live on at WaterWar.net. It would be cool if you could migrate the posts, but that sounds pretty difficult.
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:07 pm

SEAL wrote:Oh well, nothing lasts forever I guess.
…except for M4's 1500.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 pm

SSC has been key to helping me get things rolling with repairs, mods, and homemades. Unfortunately, the community itself is honestly too small, and has been that way for the last few years, to really support two forums. Waterwar.net however, and its wiki, are great places to open up materials for introducing people to the DIY world of WW.

IMO, SSC has done its job, and a damned good job too. However, the times do change. I myself haven't been anywhere nearly as active as before at both SSC and iSn in the past few years, as I spent more time on other things. However, I'm still around and still have WW related things to do, and still have a chance to make it to community wars.

I think the best approach is to merge the iSn and SSC archives together if possible, but if not (especially due to clutter from parallel threads), they can be separate, searchable archives. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do at the moment to help.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:52 pm

I love how the day that you post this the site has the most activity it had had in months.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:44 am

Haha, I'm usually online but never really find anything worth posting nor dig through the forums much.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:04 pm

I have no doubt the decision to archive SSC was a very difficult one to make. SSC did what no other forum had before and championed homemade building and device creation like none did before.

If posts could somehow be migrated into WWn, that would allow SSC's spirit to carry-on in a more active form. Granted, while there appear to be some scripts out there, having never tested them, would definitely require time to test things to ensure we don't end up breaking things. I can offer to assist with a forum import if Ben wishes to go that route once SSC is archived.

I've grown to be quite fond of visiting SSC even though I don't post too often here. I'm all for making WWn a place that as many members feel at home. Though will be sticking with phpbb for the forum software, I'm open to suggestions on how to make it more familiar and friendly to those who have called SSC their primary home all these years.

If there's one key thing Ben reminded me over the years, it's to be more open-minded to things.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::