New here

Threads about water gun modifications.
puggy

New here

Post by puggy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:03 am

Hey, I am new here. Some of you may know me from Nerf sites. I don't own any soakers as of now but that is going to change very shortly. Since I nerf I know a few things about modifying plastic guns to be powerful. I know little about the internals of super soakers. I have owned a defender but tore it apart to make a long range nerf weapon. That was my only real super soaker. I know the basics of modding, over-release valve plugging. Well, I guess thats all that I know. But I have a question on k-modding. Instead of balloons can I use A thick rubber tubing? Such as a strong peice of inner-tube?
A man with an itchy butt has smelly fingers.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:28 am

Welcome to SSC!

To perform a K-mod, you must use balloons. This is because the k-mod can only be done of soakers with spherical bladders. Putting inner tubes over the bladder can only be done on soakers with cylindrical bladders. The latter is called colossus. Both modifications do exactly the same thing, but have different names because they are used in different circumstances.

I would not recommend putting inner tubes over spherical bladders though. It would be so much easier to put balloons over the bladder.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

laboye

Post by laboye » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:00 pm

I think the tubes would provide too much resistance as well; just as it is hard to make that first push when inflating a water balloon with air (via mouth).

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:11 pm

laboye wrote:I think the tubes would provide too much resistance as well; just as it is hard to make that first push when inflating a water balloon with air (via mouth).
Well, if you stretch the balloon in different directions before inflating it, then you shouldn't have any trouble with the first blow. If you've noticed, there's no problem the next time you inflate the balloon.

laboye

Post by laboye » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:18 pm

True; that's also a good point to bring up. The tube would provide a substantial amount of resistance. If one does this, wouldn't using the tubing be 'better', per se?

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:22 pm

Are you thinking that tubing won't require extra force at the beginning? That's not true, because it is made from latex, as are balloons. It is incredibly difficult to cut strips of tubing and layer them over a spherical PC, and the results will be similar to balloons' results. LRT expands about to 850% in width, and to approximately 300% in length, according to Ben, just in case you were wondering.

laboye

Post by laboye » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:26 pm

Sounds good, but could it actually be used in a soaker?

Baghead

Post by Baghead » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Hey Puggy, Glad to see another Nerfer invade soakerisim.

-bags

puggy

Post by puggy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Yeah it's getting to hot to nerf around here. Plus, a few kids around town own a crap load of soakers.
A man with an itchy butt has smelly fingers.