SSC to become ad-free

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

SSC to become ad-free

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 pm

I no longer need the money to keep SSC floating, so I will slowly remove the ads over the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with them for so long. :-P

C-A_99

Re: SSC to become ad-free

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 pm

One of the sites I frequent asks for donations AND puts quite a few ads around. Either the guy has a horrible hosting plan or is making a hefty sum from it, haha. Actually, they run their own server I believe, and that's probably where the ridiculous costs come from.

Personally, I don't care about ads as long as they're not seizure-inducing banners, pop-ups, or background links (*ahem CollegeHumor) that try to play on people accidently clicking on the ad when they intend to select the browsing window. I deal with CollegeHumor ads by click-spamming them so they (hopefully) don't get paid.

As for SSC, I disabled my ad blocker and would make a legit click once in a while to help out. =)

BTW, did you get the posts on the community war? You started the idea last summer but weren't able to follow through, so this year, me, M4, and SEAL are arranging it. Much of the discussion has moved to iSn but they link back and forth.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 21, 2011 8:50 pm

We barely made any money in the winter, but the ads paid for our hosting and more during the summer.

All ads have been removed. If you notice any ads, refresh the page to make sure you are not loading cached content, and if the ads persist, let me know about it. Let me know what page you were on and where the ads are.

I'll check out the community war thread over the next few days. Thanks.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 am

I ended up disabling adblock just in time to catch a few ads before they left. I'm glad everyone now gets the chance to experience this website like I have for the past few years. :p
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon May 23, 2011 11:08 pm

I never really noticed the adds, but it's nice that you got a source of money. Get a job? :p