Water Balloon pistol

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
captianfear

Water Balloon pistol

Post by captianfear » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:22 pm

This is my design for a water ballon pistol. I would have a one foot barrel made out of 2' pvc and have and 8 inch vertical pc with a tire vaulve on the bottom. It could shoot tiny water ballons and sponges. Image

cantab

Re: Water Balloon pistol

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:36 pm

It's still a bit big to be called a 'pistol'.

The problem I see is that such a weapon is likely to be of limited use unless it can fire quite quickly. For that, you typically want a constant air pressure design, and ideally some sort of magazine.

Without a good rate of fire, the only advantage over larger WBL's is going to be size and weight. You must balance that against the drawbacks of reduced soakage and likely reduced range.

See also my discussion, http://forums.sscentral.org/t5258/
My thinking there is mainly along the lines of what I want the weapon to do, not how it does it.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:25 pm

I am working on a design for this gun. I might make it more cannon shaped and bigger. My new brain spark is a co2 tank, would this work? Also a sprikler vaulve with an electronic trigger. The breach design is still in progress.

Captian Fear

I am looking into a turret design. I have a huge question! Im a giant noob when it comes to pvc. whats the diffrence between cpvc and pvc? i checked the guide but it didn't say. Also, is their a type of pipe that fits exactly inside a type of pipe. ie if you have a peice of pipe you can slide it over top and it will be a perfect fit.

edit: even if i complete the design i might not make it for awhile. i am fairly new to machining plastics and pipe but i could post designs if i finish.

Captian Fear
Last edited by Silence on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged double posts

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Just a point to make; don't make multiple posts so close in time; edit your last one instead.

small co2 canisters are certainly an option; indeed quite a good one. There are a couple of drawbacks. The gas is cold, so you should use plastic or metal rated for low temperatures. And they're not free.

I believe sprinkler valves are fine.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:25 pm

This'll be rather impractical no matter how you go about it. It takes a large cannon to get some range, and you might as well throw your balloons otherwise. Building limitations (like the size of fittings) are going to make the weapon bulkier and probably more uncomfortable than you expected. You could definitely scale everything up, though.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:28 pm

To get greater range requires a longer barrel right? Since the acceleration the bomb can withstand is limited.

I suspect the influence of drag on smaller diameter bombs is less.

Thus, perhaps a long but small-bore 'rifle' could work well, though of course the water delivered would be smallish.
Arsenal: