Different Design for APH

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Leprechaun71588

Different Design for APH

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:15 pm

So in trying to come up with my own design for a water gun, I thought I would just try to modify an already good existing idea.

All I changed was moving the PC so that it was parallel to the pump. It should work pretty much the same as the other APH, the only difference being that it might hold a little less water since I'm using 1 PC over 2. From what I've read about streams, have a straight shot from the PC to the nozzle should improve it in that area.

Should I bother trying to build this? Has it already been done? Is it not going to work as well as I think?
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:22 pm

I actually do not believe that this design will work well. Though you did try to incorporate the "linear design" concept, you forgot one thing. The air in the pressure chamber will float to the top, above the water. Unless you are always going to shoot the gun upside down, the air not going to push the water out. The air in to pressure chamber will float upwards, so if you angle the shot upwards, all that will come out of the nozzle would be air.

The linear design concept works well with constant pressure and piston systems but does not work well with pneumatic (air pressure) systems for the reason I have detailed above.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:43 pm

Try making the PC vertical or at a 45 degree angle to the nozzle. If you really want streamline design, you'll have to build a CPS.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Hey, Leprechaun is back! Remember me at all?

Anyways, yeah, the PC has a flaw. picture it filled 3/4 of the way with water. When you shoot, the water level will go down. At a certain point, the water level will be below the nozzle. Then all you will be shooting is mist. Making a normal style PC would fix that.

There is an option that would let it stay roughly the same as you diagram though. What I would do is use an endcap for the front of the PC (where the nozzle is connected in your little blueprint). Then, I would drill as low as possible on that endcap. After that, just attatch the ball valve and it is finished.

By doing that, you would be able to get all (well, almost all) of the water in the PC out through the nozzle instead of shooting mist with water still in there. It doesn't change your design much either, if you don't like the regular vertical PC style. I'm pretty confident this will make your homemade work perfectly.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:27 pm

You could do what Ben did with his Supercannon homemade, and put a pipe through the reducer that leads to the bottom. I'm not sure how well that worked. Ask Ben.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:46 pm

Can't anybody innovate? Ever? There is a simple solution that allows you to keep that pc. Use a tee in there and add a bit of pipe to the top. That way, the air will float up in there, leaving the water to fill the whole linear portion of the pc. I used that idea in my N00b Killer APH.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Leprechaun71588

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Crashdummy: Kinda...name sounds familiar.
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:27 am

Dux, I thought of that, too, but it would be more efficient to have the PC going down at a 45 degree angle with a tee (if you wanted). You wouldn't need to change anything, except put a 45 degree turn thing right before the PC, and one right after to make the nozzle point level.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:09 am

m15399 wrote:You could do what Ben did with his Supercannon homemade, and put a pipe through the reducer that leads to the bottom. I'm not sure how well that worked. Ask Ben.
This was sloppy and didn't work well. I do believe the design could work better in a smaller-scale water gun, but no one is likely to try it given the alternatives. The piston design of Supercannon II could be used in this fashion as well, but it would be a little harder to construct.

Duxburian's idea is the good compromise between performance and ease of construction. I would use that if you are looking for an improved pressure chamber. In fact, I have started drawing up my improved APH design that uses a chamber somewhat like Duxburian's, but this is all tenative and it is not at the top of my priorities. My top priority right now is writing the few articles that are in demand...

The slanted idea sounds interesting as well, but I don't think that it would work that well on an angled shot. I should have thought about that before when we were discussing my partially complete water streams article, but I seemed to not mentioned that.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:51 am

Check it out, this is what I meant. This design is a slightly altered version of your homemade, but it catches all of the water (if level). http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/ ... 075fe9.jpg Yes, I finally learned how to put images on the net. I've never been good with computers, but I'm now being forced to learn as I've got a drafting class. :cool:

EDIT: Anyone know how to make it bigger than that? Sorry, but I'm the biggest n00b ever computer wise, and don't know how to fix it. Making the image bigger is probably really easy too. :p

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:53 am

Great, except I don't think they make those fittings. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:17 am

Just use a drill and a bit of epoxy. It shouldn't be too hard. Just use an endcap, drill a hole in it, and attatch the nozzle assembly. Wait over night for it to dry, and the next day, test it out. :cool:

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Wow, this topic appeared since I was last here?

There is a problem with that design crashdummy. What happens if you want to fire it at a 45 degree angle? - it won't work. The pipe you use will need to extend to the rear of the PC - and even then, the gun won't fire downwards (although, this is rarer.)

I would post a different suggestion, but I'm posting from elsewhere and i don't have my normal graphics software available.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Crashdummy wrote:Just use a drill and a bit of epoxy. It shouldn't be too hard. Just use an endcap, drill a hole in it, and attatch the nozzle assembly. Wait over night for it to dry, and the next day, test it out. :cool:
This is even more sloppy than the work I had done to make Supercannon I. Without practice or experience, this modified piece would hold less pressure and likely leak. As joanna mentioned as well, it simply wouldn't work at an angle, destroying any thoughts of improved distance.

I'll say this again, but if you really wanted an air-pressure system with perfect linear design, you will have to use a piston. The piston also allows the water gun to be shot at any angle. Construction would be different and likely more difficult for most people. I'll make a drawing to help everyone who doesn't understand what I am detailing. ;)

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:00 pm

Alright, I know. Don't have to hammer me now, I'm just thinking out loud. Why not use a wye piece shaped like a lower case y? it would almost be straight, and would look pretty cool.You would also be able to shoot at an angle. If you guys find a flaw with this, I then I'll give up. :p