A crazy idea that might just work!

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
CROC

A crazy idea that might just work!

Post by CROC » Fri May 25, 2007 2:24 am

What would happen, if we made a CPH with half the backpack as a reservoir, and the other half a PC? Then our CPHs would be smaller size, and we could fit them in to backpacks. There could be a large plunger like thing that we can change the size of to charge the PC, and then we just have to fire. Any comments?
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 25, 2007 2:47 am

Hmm...isn't the Hydro Pack kinda like that? And anyway, why not just make the entire backpack the PC, like with a Power Pak or a Big Trouble?

Or are you suggesting having a pump along with the trigger/nozzle assembly? That would be nice. Of course, you'd need two water tubes, one for pumping and one for shooting.

If the second check valve was part of the water gun, then only one tube need be pressure-rated. If the second check valve was in the backpack, then both hose tubes would need to be pressure-rated.

The only problem is that there'd be a lot of space in the hoses to prime with water. I suppose you could add a valve or remove the tubing to drain the tubes after use, but that would be inconvenient or cause excessive wear.

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri May 25, 2007 10:02 pm

I was thinking about the PC backpack, but then what would protect the tubing on your back? And what if it bursts?
Also, how would you charge the PCs after they are used? You would need a PCgH refill station to do that. In other words, you would have to create some pressure inside the tank to refill it. That would kind of be annoying. However, you could make the pump be on the gun, and the tubes going back with bits of PVC around them to make them more protected, or just buy PVC re enforced tubing, stuck together with tie wraps. That would be cool
-Croc

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri May 25, 2007 10:12 pm

It has been suggested before in whichever thread it is (in the newbie section I think) where people listed their ideal watergun, whatever it might have been.

But to see it tried would be very interesting. You would need a minimum of two hoses to and from the backpack though, which could tangle.

If you try it, then kudos to you.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri May 25, 2007 10:43 pm

I think I remember this being suggested before, but I'll give a few comments anyway.

The biggest problem in my eyes with a design like this is the pumping. If you make the pump in a gun type thing, you'll need to have a good handle or else holding will be akward. I also think the two tubes going to the gun would be akward. SilentGuy also mentioned priming the tubes with water, which also would be an issue in the first few uses of the water gun.

Another problem is turbulence created in the stream. Needless to say, a tube leading to the nozzle is nowhere near as good turbulence and flow wise as a straight pipe. This is one major reason I would never consider building something like this if it wasn't meant to be low output.

Putting all the water's weight on your back also isn't the best idea. It is better to divide the weight between the arms and back (actually waist if you use a frame backpack). The more the weight is divided between muscles, the less stress for a single muscle and the better.

I personally think this design doesn't add any benefit, but if you want to try it, go ahead. At worst you could reconfigure the gun to use a different system. ;)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 am

Still, despite the potential for impracticality in war, I suggest you go for it if it sounds interesting. Nobody has done such a homemade before, so it would be quite unique.

Entanglements probably would not be too much of a problem if you tape the tubes together at regular intervals. Or use some type of fabric tube to hold the two smaller ones together. Something like that.

Interesting point about the balance, Ben. I personally don't like weight on my back, but for those that do, a system like this would at least reduce the weight on the hands. That said, perhaps balance would be an issue...

I agree that performance wouldn't be extremely spectacular. Still, if you're "only" looking for 50 feet of range, the goal might be possible to achieve.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun May 27, 2007 3:19 am

I'm not really concerned about ranges, but I had another idea. I need to draw it up in paint, which I will do tomorrow
-Croc