Duxburian Dictionary

General water gun discussion.
DX

Duxburian Dictionary

Post by DX » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:05 pm

I realized that I throw around a lot of terms without realizing that some members have no idea what the stuff is. Here's some of it, some original, some military, some other.

War-Related:

Ridgewood Militia [RM]: A local water war team, co-commanded by 4 people, including myself and Nibordude.

Waterbridge: A local water war team, co-commanded by Belisaurius and Guderian, a rival to the Ridgewood Militia.

Step-off: start a manuever/war

"Standard" 1HK Lives: Our local favorite style of gameplay.

Scenario-Based 1HK Lives: 1HK Lives, but winning objectives scores points rather than kills.

Echelon, flank, double envelopment, etc.: Military tactics.

Tech Related:

Douchenator: A popular style of inline water balloon launcher, invented by Nibordude, and used as artillery in the Ridgewood Militia.

Veronica: Just in case this ever pops up. My friend Mike's name for his Douchenator.

APR [Air Pressure Revolution]: Type of air pressure homemade designed for battle practicality.

CPR [Constant Pressure Revolution]: Same as above, only with CPS tech.

PVC Piston Pumper [PPP]: A type of piston pressure homemade.

N00b Killer: An air pressure homemade bearing the first inverted-T pc.

PC-Swapping Integration [PCSI]: Taking a spherical pc from a certain CPS soaker and putting it a different spherical pc CPS soaker.

Inverted-T: A type of pc in homemade water guns that improves linear flow, recognized by the upside down T shape.

Multi-Nozzle Mod: My name for the mod involving the replacement of a gun's nozzle with PVC fittings that give one in theory infinate nozzle settings.

Community Related:

ISCF [iSoaker Community Forums]: The original name of the iSoaker forums. I still use that abbreviation for whatever reasons.

SM [Soaker Media]: Site and forums run by Nibordude and myself.

SSC: This one is obvious. :p

Join the Revolution: The SM slogan, although applies more to my efforts to educate the community about new tech and tactics in the quest for re-invigorating the wars part of water wars. :cool: I try to bring the next level down to you if you can't bring yourself up to it. :eek:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Here's a link to the "Soakological Glossary" on the main site (not at the forums). There may have been another thread like this, but I can't remember it if it did exist. I will post a link if I remember.

PCgR (PreCharger Revolution): type of homemade with separate compartments for air and water, and designed for battle practicality

1HK (One hit kill): game mode in which a player "dies" if touched by water once

PC (Pressure Chamber): compartment in which water/air is pressurized

PR (Pressurized Reservoir): (homemade) soaker in which there is no PC because pressure is stored in the reservoir

I'm not sure if you wanted others to post here...if you didn't, feel free to remove this post.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:20 pm

It's fine. This was originally made because I use many terms that are rather unique and/or new.

For example, anyone could define these without looking them up: 21K, 12000, CPH, CAP, XPS 310, SuperCannon I, Havoc, 2250.

But could you define these without looking them up: 1100, 2721, 15.21K, APR 1000, N00b Killer, Veronica, PPP?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:39 pm

Okay, I see where you're going. If you want, I can get rid of all my submitted definitions except for PCgH, because that is relatively new.

Will you delete your definitions as they become incorporated into the soaker community? I'm guessing not, but I'm just checking.

(I knew about half of your "challenge" words. Is that good or bad :rolleyes: ?)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 pm

I can handle all the challenge words - I presume most people on this forum could define "Cerberus" reasonably well - I'm not sure that's an excellent thing...
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I probably won't delete anything since this topic will be long-buried before people start posting topics such as "help, my 1521 broke" or "my APR 2000 has a leak, what do I do?" :rolleyes:

Unless more advanced-hardcore teams pop up, the stranger tech stuff will remain on the side, not well-known. I mean, most people would do a k-mod and stop there, instead of integrating, k-modding, and nozzle-modding for an even bigger boost in power. High caliber teams tend to look into this stuff in the quest for victory, but others tend to be satisfied with their stock guns or basic k-mods. Many people don't even realize that there are versions of 1HK other than elimination!

And of course the future isn't looking all that great. You all can afford to be optimistic about better guns in years ahead, while I'm fighting a losing battle to save a type of water war from dying years ahead. Better guns next season, or the season after that, will be too late to save the way of soaking I've come to know and love. In the 2007 or 2008 season, if Maurader 4 doesn't hang on, hardcore water warfare as we know it will basically be extinct. The torch won't be out, but there won't be anyone to carry it on. I will of course try in college, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to field a good team, forget two without some sort of miracle. If these types of teams disappear, you can bet that a lot of tech and tactics will too. The Advanced-Hardcore wing of Soakerdom always gets the short end of the stick, and its loss won't go unnoticed. Hardcore teams are innovative, just one can make things that change water war battlefields forever. Welcome to my very bright and sunny world, overflowing with optimisim. :p

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:00 pm

So you're saying it's the teams, not the individuals, that keep hardcore soaking going. Interesting...

I'll try to create a team here, but it will be hard. I don't know how large Ridgewood is, but the chance that there will be many interested people in Charlottesville is a little low. One must also consider the growing popularity of paintball and, even more importantly, airsoft.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Based on the fact that this topic might be long buried, perhaps we should have a dictionary thread - locked, so that only mods could add appropriate definitions (but other users could PM a mod) and people don't post stupid definitions or questions.

What do people think to that?
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 02, 2006 8:32 pm

That's not a bad idea...but if that happens, it should either be a new thread or this thread should be cleaned up. The last few posts, including this one, haven't been too relevant. I'm not against discussion of this, but you should really clean up the thread if you're going to limit access.

It might also be a neat idea to have an actual "Duxburian Dictionary" thread but leave this one for comments on that--then, these posts could be kept and comments and definition submissions/requests could be posted on this thread. I support a dictionary thread (especially since nobody [not me, at any rate] reads the outdated "Soakological Glossary" since it isn't in the forums).

EDIT: No matter what thread is used, it should be stickied.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Tue May 02, 2006 9:30 pm

SilentGuy wrote:I'll try to create a team here, but it will be hard.
One must also consider the growing popularity of paintball and, even more importantly, airsoft.
Yea, I'm trying to get a team started too. I haven't had much luck so far, but I should be able to get some money to make some homemades soon, and then boost interest. Airsoft is really popular here, which makes it all the harder.

I knew all of the challenge words except Havoc and 2250, I've never heard of the 2250, though I might have heard of the Havoc.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 03, 2006 12:06 am

Well, I had heard of almost all the challenge words, but I had forgotten a couple...by the way, I don't think anybody should share the answers, as that would defeat the purpose of the "challenge."

Yes, you're exactly right--after we get several really nice homemades, we might actually impress others. Because of the price and convenience, I'm going to build a few soakers at a time--that way, whenever my friends split into teams, each team has similar soaker strength. You can't give one team a soaker such as Leftovers or something.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 03, 2006 11:25 am

The Douchenator helped us rack up numbers quite a bit this year. When you hear people in school whom you don't know talk/ask about the Douchenator, you know you've managed something quite incredible. We also have our good guns, which helps alot too, and our team eats together in the TV Studio during lunch every day. Not to mention other things like the movie I made last night that will be posted later today?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed May 03, 2006 8:00 pm

Right in a day or so, I'll compile the definitions into a seperate thread, and pin it. It should help cut some questions/provide some answers.

If you want to add an entry, then either use this thread to discuss it or PM someone.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Do you think the average "recruit" would be more interested in homemades or in modded guns? I understand that your modded guns seem to perform better, but homemade guns would bring more questions and be more interesting. I am more interested in homemades because if done right, their tremendous potential can be unleashed; however, I don't have any good guns to mod, so I wouldn't know about modding. In addition, how many people actually have CPS power?

My theme is to be content and surpass commercial soakers with homemades, but I can't help lusting for CPS, etc. because everybody else talks about them all the time...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu May 04, 2006 8:14 am

Modded weapons are good fun, and less effort to create, but homemades are built to order - they can have bigger PCs, potentially more power, etc.

I am lucky enough to have CPS power - I have a CPS 27K (currently in need of repair - bought new), and a CPS 3200 (I may lightly collosus this to enhance the 20x range a bit - bought from someone)

However, CPS power can be achieved in homemades, if you can find the LRT you need.