Build Log: Supercannon

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
Drenchenator

Build Log: Supercannon

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm sure everyone here has at least heard of Ben's Supercannon II. But has anyone thought about what Supercannon I was? This week's addition is a "build log" and overview of Ben's Supercannon--the water cannon that preceded Supercannon II. The article is in the form of forum posts with an overview and some previously unrealeased pictures of Ben holding the thing. In the overview I went over the mechanics of the gun as well as what worked and what didn't. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion about how that gun worked.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Re: Build Log: Supercannon

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:04 pm

It's a good compilation, but the change of narrator from Drenchenator to Ben (after the overview) could be confusing.

SSCBen

Re: Build Log: Supercannon

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Eventually this will be authored completely by me, but until I do that we'll have to work with this. This gives you a good idea of what worked and what didn't. I'd like to add more pictures, especially of the construction process itself.

One thing worth mentioning too is that the feed pipe broke off eventually. When moving things around back in January I noticed that something was rattling around the old Supercannon chamber. It was the feed pipe. I suppose that the modified fitting put too much stress on the pipe, breaking it eventually. This is just another reason to use a piston.