wondering how to change an APH into a CPH

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Commander Soakage

wondering how to change an APH into a CPH

Post by Commander Soakage » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm looking to make a homemade super soaker and I was wondering if there was a way to make a CPH using an APH design but putting in a piece of LRT.
bensaph.jpg
I plan to use the smaller gun in the picture to put in a piece of LRT.
HASBRO stands for:
Horrible, Atrocious, Stupid, Bratty, Rotten and Obnoxious

SSCBen

Re: wondering how to change an APH into a CPH

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm

If you want to use the APH setup, sure, you can add an extra bend and connect that to LRT. There's nothing that stops you from doing that. But, the APH design isn't ideal for LRT because it's internal diameter is larger and since you're limited by the diameter of the LRT, there's no reason to use larger pipe unless you want a bulkier and more costly water gun. The design also doesn't follow the "linear design" principle that CPS water guns can follow very easily.

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing it, but there's also really no reason to use an air pressure type layout in a rubber CPS water gun. Just design something like SuperCPS. It's perfect for a homemade CPS water gun.

Silence

Re: wondering how to change an APH into a CPH

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm

By the way, the APH uses vertical pressure chambers thanks to the pressurization system. Since air and water occupy the same chamber, you want the outlet on the bottom. Air floats to the top and water sinks to the bottom, so you only shoot water.

That's not necessary with constant pressure systems, or with air pressure systems with plungers that divide the chamber. If you have the luxury of horizontal chambers, you might as well set them up like in standard CPHs for best performance.

Then again, maybe you just hadn't seen a CPH article...Ben linked to the most complete one available. :)