XP 240 disassemble glued front pieces?

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
rwe

XP 240 disassemble glued front pieces?

Post by rwe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:34 am

I'm trying to disassemble my XP 240. All screws out, but I can't seem to get the part at the front of the pump off, nor the front of the nozzle. Both parts are holding the two halves of the gun together and I'm afraid of breaking them.

Or can I break them if necessary and not really needed later?

Thanks!
Attachments
ss240.jpg

Silence

Re: XP 240 disassemble glued front pieces?

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:50 am

Try using a screwdriver to pry them off - it's a common problem. At worst you may need to saw them off, but that's not likely on older XP water guns.

By the way, welcome to the forums! :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:56 am

Welcome to SSC!

Read our guide to opening water guns and the links from it first: http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/opening.html

The pump cap is not essential and if the nozzle cap appears to be aesthetic it is not essential either, but you should be sure not to damage essential parts when opening.

The nozzle part likely can be pried off. Stick a screwdriver under the yellow part and try prying it off. An example of prying a piece off is here: http://www.geocities.com/waterwarrior49 ... /article15

The pump cap is likely glued on and will have to be cut unless you have success prying it off. Take a saw and cut slowly into it, stopping when you get through. Rotate the saw and repeat, cutting in a bit, rotating, etc., until the pump cap is removed.

Either part could be threaded on too so it's worthwhile trying to unscrew them. You never know.

Edit: I got beat to my second post in a row.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 am

My first advice - see if one half will slide relative to the other. On at least one gun I opened, parts like that were glued only to one half of the gun.

Otherwise, depending on the plastics used, you may have success carefully bending the two halves of the body apart until the body cracks near where it's stuck together. Though since there are two places they're attached, it might not work.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Be careful it you try to pry the nozzle cap off. Don't apply too much force, just enough to get it off. Too much could break the cap. A slow, deliberate approach should do the trick.
My first advice - see if one half will slide relative to the other. On at least one gun I opened, parts like that were glued only to one half of the gun.
Good tip, cantab!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.