Super Soaker Shot Blast

General water gun discussion.
marauder_4

Super Soaker Shot Blast

Post by marauder_4 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 am

I just picked one up tonight from Wal Mart. All the Super Soakers were in the Nerf section and not the water toys section. The Shot Blast was $20, the Rattler was $15, and it was $11 for 2 Hydro Furies. At first I was apprehensive about the price as 1) it's not CPS, 2) you pump it to shoot, and 3) the Rattler holds the same amount of water. While I cannot comment on the performance of the Rattler I was very pleasantly surprised by the Shot Blast. Apparently there is a little pressure chamber of sorts and when the pressure chamber is full the nozzle valve opens and the blaster shoots out a stream of water. I estimate this stream of water to be somewhere between 3 and 4x, relieving my fear that I had just payed $20 for a soaker with a 1x nozzle. My Shot Blast took 2 pumps to pressurize and then fired with every sequential pump I made. The stream has a decent shot time for this type of blaster which means that the downtime between shots is less than a soaker like the Vaporizer. Speaking of the Vaporizer, they are going in sets of 2 for $20... I bought mine 3+ years ago for $4.75. Back to the bottle shot though... the construction has to be the best I've seen out of any soaker. Granted, I haven't opened it up, but everything is top quality plastic, you can collapse the buttstock to varying levels allowing customization for water warriors of all sizes, and you can take it completely off if you want. The tactical scope mount is well built and while I don't think it'd be very useful considering the gun only shoots 30 feet and lacks a trigger it's still pretty cool and the kids will find it fun.
All in all this is a very fun, good looking, sturdily built blaster that I predict will be decent in soakfests. Is it worth $20? Yes and no. Yes if you want a gun for loaning out to small children or irresponsible friends. It should also be a lot of fun in less serious conflicts - despite it's appearance. No if you are looking for a good arm for a serious water war - which is ironic considering all the words like "tactical" and "war" on the box.

^the stream starts out concentrated with a thickness close to that of the XP 150. By the end of its range the stream size increases to around 4x. I don't remember any other soaker that is like this.

I hope to have a full review up on Hydrowar this weekend. It will be interesting to see if isoaker and I come to the same conclusions.

JuchTurtles

Re: Super Soaker Shot Blast

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Wow, the stream looks really concentrated for being a piston-pumper. That's ironic. That's just like the Quick Blast if you do a 1/2 to 2/3 pump and than a full pump. And I think the Quick Blast has a 3x or 4x nozzle, too.

So, by my understandings, the Shot Blast and the Quick Blast are very similar.

Does the Rattler really hold the same amount of water? On the boxes, the Rattler looks considerably smaller, but perhaps wider and fatter.

Can't wait till the review!
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

The Shot Blast and Quick Blast are very similar in performance Super Soaker Shot Blast vs Quick Blast. Admittedly, I want to do a re-measurement on the Shot Blast's pump volume and PC volume, but to me, stream performance feels similar between both blasters. Haven't don't any further testing on the Shot Blast yet, so haven't noticed how much the stream spreads over a distance. As for its feel, as marauder_4 noted, it is one very sturdy, well built water blaster.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:58 am

The review is up.

I need to do something with the front page, I have no tech updates to balance out the right side of the page with the left, but that will have to come later. The important thing is there is new content.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Great review! I tend to agree with pretty much everything written on there apart from classifying the nozzle as 4x. :p Might look like 4x at some point, but the amount of water that actually comes out doesn't really feel like a 4x stream. I need to do more testing on it to try to get a more accurate rating, though. Maybe can find some time somehow soon.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:12 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Great review! I tend to agree with pretty much everything written on there apart from classifying the nozzle as 4x. :p Might look like 4x at some point, but the amount of water that actually comes out doesn't really feel like a 4x stream. I need to do more testing on it to try to get a more accurate rating, though. Maybe can find some time somehow soon.

Yeah, the output was kinda tricky to figure out. I did several readings by shooting into a measuring bottle, and I also measured by dividing the full capacity by the amount of shots per tank. That wasn't the tricky part of course, on my Shot Blast it starts out as a tight stream and ends up over twice as big at the end. I think the soaking power is greater than the usual output might suggest. That's what I was trying to get at in my review.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 pm

That is actually pretty cool how it "spreads". At the end of the stream, does it still have decent power? I wonder how they managed to get the water to behave like that.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:47 pm

The Nerf team has generally done a considerably better job on ergonomics than Super Soaker has, at least as far as the Max-D line goes. The issue here is that the compact "tactical" design style does not work for water guns as has been demonstrated again and again. There is simply not enough room to get a good reservoir in, but they should have no trouble fitting a cylindrical chamber.

I've mentioned before that blasters without a manual trigger are generally not useful for wars, not even soakfests. It's just a fact of how they work.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Wow what a review! You went into some depth there, m4.

The nerf blasters definetely have better egronomics that the Super Soakers, and they are built so much better, too. This aparently has rubbed off on 2010s!

The stream also reminds me of the Quick Blast, even though I think the Quick Blast has a little bit smaller output (might just be mistaken). The soakers remind me of shot guns (in how they aren't entirely acurate but cover a widespread area with their blasts effectively hitting their enemies).

It sounds like these are great to have. :cool:
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:20 pm

I have to say that the new guns, while they are built well, are generally only things I would lend to guests, or people on the other team. :p But I might pick up at least one of the guns that they have released, just to see for myself. At least Hasbro is using tracked pumps for almost all of their guns, so that we have an extremely hard time breaking them.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 am

Tracked pumps are always better. On Sunday, I think I'm gettting one of the models. I'll post when I do. There will also be a review on my site (though it's not out yet).
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Tracked pumps are not always better. Though they are more durable, they require the blaster to be close to twice as long in order to accommodate the same pump stroke length, compared to a non-tracked pump. Thus, for smaller weapons non-tracked pumps should be used.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Sorry, I meant like guns like the Shot Blast size-wise. I should have been more clear.

Tracked pumps are sometimes harder to pump, too.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Yeah, and generally they are harder to get unstuck, though that is not always the case. With my CPS 2100, the pump is really nice but it gets stuck every time we store it. Is there any way to avoid this, or is it just with my gun?
Thanks,
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:06 pm

No, I get that with my Vindicator/Renegade/Equalizer, too. I think the only way is try to get a pump every day but also release the pressure afterwards. This isn't that big of a problem; usually pumps just take a bit of lagging pumping and then work again. Don't worry about it, zeda.
SPLASH! You're dead!