First time..nice and easy?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
TonyGugino

First time..nice and easy?

Post by TonyGugino » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Hello Everyone!
I cannot believe that i found a whole entire forum dedicated to super soakers. its AWESOME!
But, as the spring has dawned on us, so has the game Assasins...i am sure some of you know what that is, but if not it is a game played where basically there at teams of 3 and your own team of 3 gets a teams name and you have to try and attack them and squirt them to get them out and eliminate them but at the same time you have someone after you too. its a HUGE game around here and when you get to become an upperclassmen that is when you can play. me and my 2 friends are starting to get really really serious about it for example i have a van, so i put a bed in the back with a t.v, propane grill and a cooler and i sleep in my highschools parking lot because that is the safezone and my other teamates do as well in their own cars.
but the reason for my post is that my friend has a brand new 2008 jeep liberty and the back window will open up and we were wondering if there was any type of super soaker that would kind of be like a turret-ish type and would shoot far distances...also if there was any kind that would be nice and easy to carry around and run with that would shoot accurately because we will also be scouting our teams early in the morning and late at night.
we have a class called production technology and our teacher said he was willing to help us if we got plans and payed for the supplies! any help from you guys will be AWESOME
thanks alot
tony gugino

Edit: oh yeah another thing, the game starts may 1st...anychance we could be done before then or close to then?
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Re: First time..nice and easy?

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Welcome to the forums.

First of all, if you have additional stuff to say after the post, edit that post instead of making a new one. (This keeps everything cleaned up)

Anyways, if the jeep has a roof that'll open up, that'd be quite interesting. Given the fact that you're playing assassins, I would suggest a small, concealable blaster. Here's a general idea.

Since you seem to need a good amount of power, you might wish to go with air pressure, since constant pressure generally seem to have trouble with this. However, if you can get a good layering of tubes, I would strongly recommend that over air pressure since pumping will be generally easier since you don't have to reach a certain pressure level for the shot to be useful.

Remember, the blaster can connect to just about any water source, such as an onboard reservoir for quick operations, a backpack for heavy assault operations, or, perhaps, a large supply tank on the vehicle for near-infinite ammo. Without too much trouble, you can also connect a super soaker to these.

Another possibility to consider is a quick-firing water balloon launcher, but while they have significantly much more range, it is difficult to hit targets. If you're interested, let us know.

If you would prefer to buy instead of build, just about any decently ranged CPS (perhaps with a light k-mod/colossus) should do the job.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyGugino

Post by TonyGugino » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Do you know where i could possibly get plans for these type of super soakers?
also, a water balloon launcher, are those light and easily portable?

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:26 pm

SSCentral doesn't have any definite plans for a gun like this. However, we had had several discussions on the subject, the most notable being Advice on Building Truck-Mounted Water Cannon.

Since a water source isn't going to be readily available at all times--not as much as a boat would have anyway--I'd recommend a large scale air pressure system.

I'd recommend looking at Ben's SuperCAP article. This gun uses two tanks: one for pressurized air, one for water. The air is fed into the water tank through a pressure regulator; this way the pressure stays relatively the same. If you can get it, use 6" PVC pipe for the water tank; it would save a lot of length.

A SuperCAP like gun with several, large water tanks should do nicely, but begs the question--how much room's available? Can the car's seats be removed? This system will need a lot of room.

The turret actually would be the simplest part since all that it would do is release the water. Since you'd probably want control on the fly, I'd recommend using an electrically or pneumatically operated solenoid valves, though they would reduce performance. The other choice, ball valves, won't allow rapid on/off action: they are more or less on/off switches--though performance would be superior, and it would much easier to build.

A final tip--use larger diameter tubing to connect the turret to the water tank; smaller diameter tubing reduces performance greatly. Moreover, use tubing clamps to secure the lines to their respective parts.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Doug

Post by Doug » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 am

Hey, im a member of Tony's team and i was wondering if we were to buy a gun instead of build what would you recomend.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:54 am

Welcome to SSC guys!

The water guns in stores today aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Out of what's available I'd recommend the Water Warriors Orca, Water Warriors Tiger Shark, Super Soaker Arctic Blast, and Super Soaker Flash Flood. None of those water guns aside from the Water Warriors ones I could begin to recommend for general use. They're generally low powered and consequently don't shoot very far.

You could try eBay for some older water guns, but the market is picking up now and prices will be inflated. There also are a limited number of water guns on eBay and a good amount of them are bought by collectors, both of which combine to reduce the number of older guns available to new people.

This summer we'll start to sell water guns we build, but that's probably too late for your game.

If you want my opinion, none of the guns you'll find in stores or online will be close to what you want, so building a water gun is your best option.

If you're put off by building because you might think it's hard, don't be, because in all my years running this forum I have not seen a single post here detailing how difficult building is. It's all perception. Once you buy the parts, you've finished half the work. This guide is very comprehensive and should work great for your purposes: http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/aph/
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 am

I agree; once you get started, you'll find building is a lot easier than you thought. Not a single person has attempted to build a water gun and then failed.

If constant air pressure water guns sound excessive, you could go with the air pressure homemade. Seeing as it has rather high capacity and more output than any commercial water gun, it would already provide a solid advantage over your opponents. :cool:

If you want actual recommendations of commercial water guns, try the CPS 2000 or the CPS 2500 off eBay. They're rather expensive though, and sometime down the road, you'd do well to build your own for this purpose. :)