Scout Drone

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Authundir

Scout Drone

Post by Authundir » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Has anyone ever considered building a remote controlled scout drone?

I have been inspired by a small robot used by the us military in Iraq called the TALON.
TALON

i have found a set of 1 metre (3 foot) tank treads in a hobby store in east melbourne, with 4 motors controling them.
according to my tech support it "shouldn't be too hard"
therefore i have prepared myself for all manner of problems.

has anyone ever attempted somthing like this before and if so HELP ME!!! :eek: :o
all i got was some garpled mix of technical jargon ( i suspect he made at least some of it up)
please help
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

Silence

Re: Scout Drone

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Search the MAKE blog, Hackaday, YouTube, and the forums here. We haven't had any members who've created water-shooting robots (unless they kept quiet about it), but there are a lot of videos and images of these things.

If you want to know how to make one, this is the wrong place. There are many robotics websites on the net, though, so start searching!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:14 pm

Ben recently found an article about a water gun robot. It's available here. I'll just take Ben's word on what it's about:
I found this link on Slashdot. I've seen a few water gun robots for spraying birds, but nothing for people. Sadly, it seems that every time someone makes a robot for spraying pests it gets more attention than our creations, but we might be able to turn the tide this year.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:39 am

I can't help you much with the robotics portion of this and I'm sure you can handle the water gun portion. ;)

Here's another link that you might find helpful: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~chuck/hoserpg/hoser.shtml

The easiest option would be finding an existing toy/robot that is similar to what you want and then modify it. Some toy robots with a dart gun or something might be useful as long as they're remote controlled. If they have some trigger or something on the controller, that's all you need. You can make that trigger actuate a valve or something.

This is something not everyone here has expertise in. I would suggest doing some research on your own. Posting at a robotics forum might be the most helpful.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:08 pm

If it does any good, I can help with the robot portion.

I have a nice little robot that would be a good thing to use for this. Not that fast, but high payload carrying capacity. The only problem with it is size, as it was supposed to fin in a 12" cube. I might actually try this...