Might build APH

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Specter

**Built** Might build APH

Post by Specter » Tue May 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Yesterday I got word of an event going on this friday at my school. Today I went up to the main "coordinator" to ask what this was. He said it was a huge water gun fight after school (which happens to be our last day as seniors :) )

Today after school I stopped at LOWES, and I love their plumbing section, so much more organized than Home Depot and much broader selection.

Today I dug up my APH design picture after school and printed it out and went to Lowes.

I was changing the design in my head while looking at the parts selection. And the final design will be different than my original drawing (which i cant seem to find so i used the picture i posted here a while ago)

heres what I came up with, it is not complete however, i have to determine how many of certain parts i need because i just rushed to get the individual prices down, i may have missed something. (i might purchase tomorrow, because i get out around 12:30)

Pipe Nipples
8" x 1/2" (for pump) $.87
3" x 1" $.63
2" x 1" $.67

Check Valves
1/2" $6.53 ea
Tees
1" threaded $1.43 ea
1/2" threaded? (unknown if needed, thought of this when i got home) $N/A

Elbow(s)
1/2" x 1" (might not need) $1.03
Caps
1" socket (5pk)(for nozzles) $2.39
2" socket (for top of PCs) $1.13 ea

Adapters & Bushings
1" male adapter (5pk)(for nozzles) $2.39
1/2" male adapter (to make CVs removable for other applications) $2.79 (10 pk) didn't check price/ea
2" x 1" Socket x threaded bushing (for PCs) $1.77
1" x 1/2" threded x threaded (check valve to threaded Tee) $.83
2" coupler (the ones at lowes are twice the length of those at HD) $.87

PVC
1/2" x 5ft (for CV>adapters) $.93
Dowel
1/2" x 36" (or 48" i forget) $1.44

O RINGS - i forgot to price these. I don't know where in the store they would be located, if anyone could let me know, i'll include an extra $2 since i don't expect them to be more than that

EDIT: AH! also forgot the barb and tubing! :O where in the store would the barb be located. would fish tank tubing be sufficient to go from backpack/reservoir to soaker? or would a piece of cut garden hose work

WILL RETURN LATER AFTER [FINAL] PRICE CALCULATED
Last edited by Specter on Fri May 08, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Re: Might build APH

Post by Silence » Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 pm

The barbs may be in the home plumbing (sinks, faucets, etc.) or garden hose section. At least, closer to them. The O-rings would be there, too.

Heh, I forgot about my school's senior water fight day. :p

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 pm

the total, including tax, is going to come out somewhere around $55

I need to go back to the store and finalize parts needed and a couple parts prices.
I will probably take a cart and dry fit everything in it to make sure i have everything correct. (this sounds like a good idea, but i might get weird looks in the store.)

i am going to use my 2" pvc for the PCs. I will probably make them 8" or 10" tall
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed May 06, 2009 6:57 pm

i bought about 80% of the parts needed. Dry fitting in the cart was a great idea. I found out what i needed and what i didn't. I also bought some extra stuff, like 5/8 x 1/2 x 10ft vinyl tubing to go from backpack to gun. for this tubing i needed a 1/2" x 1/2 MIP barb.

I wasn't sure which Orings to get (#9 or #10) so i took one out of each package, and tested it on the 1/2" dowel and turns out it was a #9 (which i thought was correct when i saw the dimensions.)

the only parts i need are 2 more 1" threaded tees, and a 1"x1/2" threaded bushing to go from PC tee to check valve. I think there might be one or 2 more things, but thats basically it.

the total price came out to just over $47 including tax. the total price after buying the remaining needed pieces should be about $52-$53 maybe less than $52.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu May 07, 2009 1:38 am

i almost forgot a/some critical piece(s). the caps for nozzles!. earlier tonight i went to home depot to see if they had a threaded 1/2" coupler (luckily they had them) and picked that up. I also bought 4 threaded 1" caps. i was going to get 3, but took an extra in case. also picked up a roll of electrical tape (which i probably already had but couldn't hurt to get) which was $0.59

now all i need to complete my soaker is 2 threaded 1" tees, and the 1" x 1/2" threaded x threaded bushing. If i can get to the other lowes by me (the one i got everything at only had 1 threaded tee and was out of those size bushings) and pick those up, i can cement the cementable parts tomorrow after school and put the gun together and test it. now i currently dont have supplies to build a back pack, (was thinking about layering garbage bags and putting in back pack) but might use a 2L soda bottle modified to fit the tubing i got.

did i mention that i like lowes so much better than home depot.

edit: forgot to mention, if anyone else plans to use a pipe nipple for their pipe shaft like i'm doing, you may have to use #8 O-Ring. the #9 ones i got don't fit into the pipe with the notch on the pump handle. and it is slightly too loose in the notch, which i didn't really make that deep.(i used my dremel to make the notch, with the barrel saw(don't know the actual name but its a little cylindar on the end of the bit that cuts wood) and the o-rings fit perfectly in it being notched round into the dowel and all) but yeah, due to the slightly smaller ID of the SCH80 pipe, the #9 oring doesn't fit. I will post back tomorrow after I try the #8 rings
Last edited by Specter on Thu May 07, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 07, 2009 4:30 pm

What size and material are you using for the pump shaft? 1/2", in a 1/2" PVC pump (more like 5/8")?

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 pm

its a 1/2" x 8" pipe nipple (SCH 80). the internal diameter of SCH 80 pipe is slightly smaller than SCH 40 so the #9 o ring didn't fit.

The #8 o-ring fit in the store when i tested it today, so i'll use that.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu May 07, 2009 9:03 pm

I got the remaining pieces, and dry fitted the soaker. Its really cool except for the fact its over 3 feet long, (it might shrink with the threaded pieces in all the way) The good thing is i made it threaded, so i can take one PC off if i want, or 2. Its completely customizable in a sense.
Now all i have to do is cement the PCs, and check valves, (and any other place that needs to be cemented.)

Heres a picture of it dry fitted.(sorry in advance for quality, i took the picture with my phone and didn't want to fool around taking X# of pictures before i got a good one)

also you can probably see the oring on the pump handle, i just put the handle in backwards to take a pic to show what it would look like. (pump cap isn't attached)
0507091646.jpg

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah, that is long. You could try rearranging things to make it shorter.

For example, the rear tee could be rotated clockwise, and the inlet valve coming in vertically instead of horizontally. That could work great for an onboard reservoir of some sort behind the PCs, but perhaps less well if you're connecting a hose to a backpack.

Or if you have an elbow, you could place it behind the PCs, then making the pump outlet check valve vertical, bringing the pump down and forwards.

I suggest play around with things dry fitted and find what you think is ergonomic. Think about where you'll attach a strap too.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu May 07, 2009 10:58 pm

cementable pieces have been cemented. just have to wait about an hour 45 mins for them to be fully cured.

i plan to have a tube going from a backpack type reservoir (i don't know if you saw the roll of tubing in the photo). no changing anything now since i need the thing for tomorrow. if i want to make the soaker shorter i can take a PC off. i dont think it will be too hard to handle for me. and i don't have the time to get a strap, so i'm going to say i don't need one.

thanks for your input though :)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Heh, our senior class organized an assassins game instead. I stayed out partly since none of my friends joined in, the other part being the fact that I prefer regular water wars.

I'd suggest finding something to secure the pump onto everything else so its not flimsy. I'd also suggest 3" pipe for the PC's but since you're using 3 of them so it won't be as much of an issue. Adding a torque arm to the firing ball valve would not be a bad idea either. Since you'll be fighting with this, ergonomics and reliability are very important.

Shortening the gun by removing a PC wouldn't be worth it IMO. You lose that much water and surface area to shorten it by a measly amount.

WaeV

Post by WaeV » Fri May 08, 2009 1:10 am

Don't forget to reinforce the pump shaft to the main body, mine broke because of that.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri May 08, 2009 2:15 am

I put the gun together, then took 1 PC off, (i can always reattach it if wanted or needed) I haven't been able to pump it to full yet, and don't know how many pumps it takes till full.

i only tested it with the riot blast in my basement sink tub. and it seems like it will shoot really nice when pumped to full and with a nozzle.

speaking of nozzles, i have to go drill a couple of my end caps, any suggestions on the sizes i should drill?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 pm

I made a bunch of sizes in increments of 1/16 of an inch up to about 5/8 inches. This'll give you a wide variety of nozzles. ;)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Hose barbs and water balloon fillers also make great nozzles due to their lamination of the stream. However, they obviously give you less options, and I find that my balloon filler nozzle (which is about 4mm) is too small for the LPD when operating on high power. (though its good for general combat; the LPD tends to shoot out very quickly)