High-Pressure QFD Station

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Silence

High-Pressure QFD Station

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:26 am

This thread spawned off of several posts in the "Battery powered homemade soakers" thread. Yes, the two topics are not very relevant, but that's why they are being separated.

Ben (Post #6)
I think that would be heavy as well, ruining any advantage created through the use of an electric pump in my mind. Might be good as a powerized-QFD system though! Someone needs to make a powerized-QFD system to support quick-filling of homemade water guns.

Ben (Post #8)
My "powerized-QFD" idea was a stationary filling station similar to the normal QFDs used by Super Soaker, except that the powerized version would be designed to get more power than just the hose allows. It's not to supplement hand pumping at all, in fact, it exists to eliminate it on a select few homemade water gun.

SilentGuy (Post #12)
Good, I hope so.

But I have been taunted by a few ideas of automatic pumping--air compressors, electric motors, and the like. The only reasonable alternative, because of its speed, is one that I came up with: at a station, a compressor or motor pressurizes a tank. When you hook up your reservoir (QFD) or PC gun (SC) and open the ball valve on your gun, the pressure equalizes instantly.

Of course, this works best if your station uses a tank, large or small (or CPS ) that can take high pressure; if the tank is too big, it will have low pressure, and your PC won't be pressurized enough. On the other hand, the tank will not lose too much of its own pressure. Solution: either the station or your homemade should use a CPS bladder, enabling maximum pressure .

Somebody, please tell me where I should move this post; I don't think this is the best thread for it.

Firefox extensions...making your crazy computer invulnerable

These posts are the relevant ones from the original thread. I prefer comments to be placed in this one in order to prevent hassle on all of our parts and to reduce clutter at SSC.
Last edited by Soakologist on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 05, 2006 1:57 am

I've made a big decision: if this is going to be stationary, why not use a Schrader valve (as a high-pressure supplement to QFD) for pumping? There's no need to use inferior hand-pumps if you're not on the move.

Seeing as this is basically a more thought-out version of the pumping station for HPCs, can some moderator merge this thread into the "High-Pressure Canister (HPC)" thread? Thanks...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 06, 2006 9:15 am

I'll merge the stuff some time - I've got to go elsewhere now.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Thanks for the offer. Just remember, of course, to mark the posts that began and ended this thread--it would be easier for others to know the difference that way.

There is actually one major difference between this and the automatic filling station that I had originally thought of HPCs--in this, the (extreme?) pressure can slowly be increased and stored in a very large tank, so HPCs can be filled immediately. By allowing for a longer time in pressurization, one can use an automatic air and water compressor and save the manpower required for Schrader valves and pump pistons. In addition, this can be used for the pressurization of practically anything--yes, even as a QFD.