Guts and glory

Discussion of other water gun websites.
captianfear

Guts and glory

Post by captianfear » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Does anyone have an archive to GNG? It is still online but most of the pages are broken. It looks like a really intresting site but I heard that it wasn't finished.

SSCBen

Re: Guts and glory

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:19 pm

The pages that are not online never were online. It turns out that most of the pages of the first version of the website are still online as well, but you have to navigate through something like The Internet Archive to find their URL.

A few of the new articles were posted on the old Aquatica Yahoo Club a long time ago. I actually organized a few of them but I don't know precisely where they are at the moment.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 pm

alright so if it say the page is unavaliable it means it was never completed?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Generally, yes. As I said though, a few of them were completed and posted at Aquatica.

There however was much more content on the old website so I suggest trying the Internet Archive.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 pm

I tried the archive. Still wasn't complete. That is one of my pet peeves: listing thing on your site but then putting under construction.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:49 pm

You are correct. The Internet Archive for some reason is not listing pages from before 2003. Those pages used to be there; I know that for a fact because I made an archive from them a long time ago.

Try this: http://www.sscentral.org/gng/

Edit: I also want to say that GNG was one of the best general information websites out there and you still will find things there that exist nowhere else. GNG pops in every once and a while so maybe he'll make an update in the future.
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks,Looks like a diffrent version of the site but its still awsome. I read a thread about an earlier archive of this site but its link was dead and was sscentral.net instead of .org.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Every page works except for the page about the Water machine gun! There are some pictures of it and I know how it works but the main page about it is broken. Just my luck!
:(

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm not certain the water machine gun page ever existed actually. The WMG is displayed on this page and it appears to be a sprinkler attached to a hose handle.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:40 pm

I think he talked about it being comleted on his message board. To bad that link doesn't work.

GutsNGlory

Post by GutsNGlory » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:13 am

Haha man that page takes me back...back to the days of bad webpages!

Ben is right...the WMG was a fabricated defense soaker. Used copper pipe that ran from a hose sprayer handle out to a sprinkler head that was modified so it wouldn't turn. Gave a really cool 'machine gun' type sound.

In the first Dominator War, we used it to hold our base when it came under direct attack. It proved useful in several ways. #1: just the thought of a stationary weapon with almost limitless ammo (guard that hose on/off knob!) was pretty intimidating, but #2 then when people got hit with it, I suppose there was a psychological factor that kicked it because it sounded just like a machine gun, and instead of a long stream hitting someone, it was, thwap thwap thwap...over and over. We came really close to being overrun, but thanks to a solid defense with the WMG, I can confidently say that we stopped them at the door, literally.

I did make a lot of posts on Aquatica about several of my projects/finds/soaker tech discussions. Wish I had them all saved. I did save some that are posted on the archived website, such as the high pressure limit in association with the (wrongly named...heh heh) check valve freezing aka pressure relief removing, going back to 2002.

Good old days!