Interesting CPS reservoir idea

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
cantab

Interesting CPS reservoir idea

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I just had an interesting idea for the reservoir on a CPS-type gun. Use the OUTSIDE of the pressure chamber (ie between the latex tube and the surrounding case) as part of the reservoir. That thus makes use of what would otherwise be dead space, and fits more water in a more compact package. It'll basically give you the extra capacity you'd otherwise get by filling the PC then topping up the reservoir, but without having to carry the gun around pressurised.

Of course if it's the only reservoir then it'll only hold one PC's worth of water, but I probably wouldn't make it the only one.

One problem might be if the expanding bladder blocks the water intake. Another is if the latex doesn't like being wet all the time.

SSCBen

Re: Interesting CPS reservoir idea

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 pm

That's a very interesting idea to save space. If done correctly so that there's no blockage, etc., there doesn't seem to be any disadvantages aside from it being a little weird. Someone should try it.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Unique idea! That would definitely save space, though sealing off the ends of the reservoir may be a bit difficult with piston seals or something. It's a bit odd, but I suppose that's because it's never been done before.
Of course if it's the only reservoir then it'll only hold one PC's worth of water, but I probably wouldn't make it the only one.
If you use this combined with a regular reservoir, you wouldn't need to pump up your gun to fill the reservoir before filling. I believe some people call this overloading. This kind of extra reservoir makes overloading unneeded.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:27 pm

So, as you pumped the water out, the water would go into the LRT? I was thinking that it might prevent the bladder from expanding, but if that's the case, then it sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:29 pm

That's an interesting idea.

In most PC cases, there's no seal between fittings, as the hose barbs do the sealing for you. I'm not sure whether you need solvent welded fittings and threaded fittings if you integrate a reservoir into the bladder's case, but you may not have to, since there's not really any pressure gradient for reservoirs. Reservoirs operate at the same pressure as the atmosphere.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 pm

If the seal wasn't good enough, then water would leak out of the chamber, wouldn't it? You could file out the ridge in a reducer bushing and make the pipe that connects the barb to the rest of the gun go through, making a good seal.

Like any other reservoir, though, you would have to have some way for air to enter/exit through to the PC case. What would happen if the PC case is sealed, and the bladder is shrinking?

Commander Soakage

Post by Commander Soakage » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 pm

interesting, but wouldn't the thickness of the PC add to the space taken up?
HASBRO stands for:
Horrible, Atrocious, Stupid, Bratty, Rotten and Obnoxious

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm

I'm thinking that if this was implemented correctly you could have a very powerful and very light water gun. I'm really liking the idea actually. I think I'll give it a try with some leftover parts.
interesting, but wouldn't the thickness of the PC add to the space taken up?
Yes, the thickness of the PC would add to the space, but it's not much volume compared to the volume of the entire cylinder so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:54 pm

aEx155 wrote:Like any other reservoir, though, you would have to have some way for air to enter/exit through to the PC case. What would happen if the PC case is sealed, and the bladder is shrinking?
Naturally. Small hole in the cap, which is best placed at the front top of the PC case, will probably be fine.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:11 pm

cantab wrote:I just had an interesting idea for the reservoir on a CPS-type gun. Use the OUTSIDE of the pressure chamber (ie between the latex tube and the surrounding case) as part of the reservoir. That thus makes use of what would otherwise be dead space, and fits more water in a more compact package. It'll basically give you the extra capacity you'd otherwise get by filling the PC then topping up the reservoir, but without having to carry the gun around pressurised.
Having the reservoir around the CPS-chamber is what is done for the Water Warriors Hydra Pak/Aqua Pak. As long as air can get into the reservoir when the blaster is firing, there's no problem with the design.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:59 pm

iSoaker: Now that I think about it, there's no other way to make the Hydra Pak have separate cases without a ton of bloat. Good example! :)

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:09 pm

Wow, I didn't think anyone made this yet. Good example, iSoaker! I guess the manufacturers are a few steps ahead in some areas.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.