Repairs to a QFD...

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
paintstripper

Repairs to a QFD...

Post by paintstripper » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:10 am

I have two Speedloader power surge 2500 water guns at my house, unfortunately, the filling device for both of them is broken, It has ripped apart where the connector to the hose fits, and it wont let me post a picture.

How would I go about repairing this myself, or even buying a new one. After reading about the speedloaders, I don't think I have much of a chance buying one.

Any help is appreciated,
Its damn hot here (40 degrees celsius), Please help.

Dan

SSCBen

Re: Repairs to a QFD...

Post by SSCBen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:40 pm

How won't the forum let you post a picture? Are you using the [img] tag or the upload feature?

From what you've described, you should be able to buy a small plastic hose coupling and epoxy it on. Putty epoxy (also known as plumber's epoxy) would work well here. Has the part the hose screws into broken off completely? That's what it sounds like to me. If that's not the problem, please describe the problem in more detail.

Yep, all QFDs are hard to come by now. Sooner or later someone will make and sell a homemade version... but until that date we'll have to make due with what we have.

paintstripper

Post by paintstripper » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:56 pm

Yeah, the base and the actual part that the gun pushes onto is still intact.
The only part that has broken is a small tubing leading to what would be the hose connector.

Btw, I am using the image upload function with a jpg image of 92kb and it says I have exceeded my quota by 90kb.

Dan

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:20 pm

That doesn't make any sense. The maximum allowed file size is 100K, not 2K. I've changed the allowed file size to 300 KB. The upload feature here seems to be buggy though, so if that doesn't work, read our guide to uploading images to upload the image somewhere else like Photobucket. ;)

Sounds like epoxying on a hose coupling is the best idea from your description. They make little plastic hose connectors that sell in the gardening section of home improvement stores like the one of the left of this picture: http://www.mikesheppard.net/rocket/images/DSCN1267.JPG

paintstripper

Post by paintstripper » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:25 am

Yeah, I think I can use those hose couplings.
What sort of glue do you recommend that can take the pressure?
Some sort of plumbing glue?

Dan

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:37 am

Plumber's epoxy will due the trick. It also goes under the names plumber's putty, putty epoxy, and any other combination of the words plumber's, putty, and epoxy. I never have used the stuff, but I've been told it's perfect for jobs like this. It is somewhat like a gum that needs to be kneaded a bit to get working. Once it sticks to something and dries, it's bonded to that and rock solid.

Once you have the plumber's epoxy and hose coupling, cut the hose coupling a little short on the non-hose end. Sand that end of the hose coupling and the broken part of the QFD. Put the putty in that area and stick the coupling in. Let it dry and you should be done.

:)