3 years ago...

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:44 pm

... the Sept. 11 attacks occured. I can't believe it has been this long already.

What's everyone's thoughts on the 3 year anniversary? Will there be more attacks?

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:58 pm

I don't think there will be as big of an attack as this one. Our nation has realized that we are not alone in this world and people do hate us. Our town here in New Jersey got hit bad. 11 people in Ridgewood died because of the attacks. I personally saw the aftermath. They opened up a viewing area and my mom and I went to see. It's so scary to see it. When I was a little younger, I remember riding by it in a car and looking up and seeing the towers go past the clouds. And then to see it as a pile of rubble was so scary.

Dux can relate to the day it happened. I was in english when my teacher was called out into the hallway. He came back in with a lump in his throat and said, "that this was very serious and a plane hit the world trade center." And then he said,"If your parent or someone you know works in the building, or around the building, go down to the office and call to see if theyre ok." He didn't tell us much. All that we knew was a plane hit the tower. Nothing else. The next period I had a computer class. Thats when I went to CNN.com and found out that the towers had fallen. No one else knew accept me and some of my friends. When I got home I saw one of those double perpellar (sp?) helicopters fly over head. We only had one channel because all the other reseptors were on top of the trade center. It was a terrible day for everyone in the US.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:47 pm

There is a ridge in town where you can see to New York. On 9/11 you could see the smoke coming from where the towers should have been. As Nibor said, 11 people from Ridgewood were killed, and I know a few fellow students who lost a parent in the attacks. Many people commute to the city from NE New Jersey, so the whole area, not just Ridgewood, was hit hard. When the attacks happened, I was in 7th grade "academic skills" and the teacher didn't take it very seriously. All she said was that a plane had hit the World Trade Center, and to call if your parents/people you know work there. That was it. We then resumed the normal class. The whole day felt different; you invision America as strong and powerful, but looking at the footage of people running from huge smoke clouds, two skysXPBackfire-esqueers collapsing, panic and disorder, none of it seemed real.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:48 pm

It can only make me sad... I would insert an inspirational quote here, but I can't think of any.

I think Duxburian put it best. When we see that Star-Spangled Banner, all we think about is the strength and perseverance of America. We think of our founding and all the times we've been thro'. Now we think about September Eleventh as well. When you see that footage... it all just seems so unreal. If you ever get the chance to visit New York City, I emplore you to visit Ground-Zero. It is a life-changing experience. I know first-hand.

All I can be is sad when I think about them. Sad and angry... I wept long and hard on that day. I just hope that history will prove that this people hath not died in vein... I can only hope.
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:26 am

9/11 was a wakeup call just like Pearl Harbor. America is at its best when challenged, we work together as a great team with our allies in Canada, England, Australia, Italy, Spain, and other freedom loving countries who have joined the war on terrorism. 9/11 was like hitting a sleeping person with a baseball bat, only that person is much bigger and stronger than the attacker. I think much of the American public had become complacent thinking the modern world is civilized. While those who seek to maintain a strong military know that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. My wife is Russian, and they too have been recent victims of these inhuman monsters who kill innocent people by some sick misguided thinking it will help their cause. The effect will be just the opposite, and their undoing. There will undoubtedly be future attacks on America, and may God have mercy on their souls.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The "S" stands for SUPER Soaker!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:40 pm

I'm just going to say this because its what I believe and I hope its not going to cause a big comotion; but, if we attack them just as they attack us then we're no better than them. It's just the way I see things.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:00 pm

It's a dog-eat-dog world. We are targeting only the terrorists who mean us harm. We meant the Muslims no harm, and yet they attacked us anyway. Do you think we should just talk to them? Have a focus group and just hope they don't attack us again?
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:17 pm

Muslims believe in the eye-for-an-eye philosophy. A.K.A. you slash someone's arm off in a Muslim-ruled country, you're going to get your arm slashed off as punishment. If you let them bleed to death after you slashed them, the same will happen to you, etc, etc. So in the eyes of Al Qaeda, we should be even, no? I'll research how many Afghans were killed in that war..... about 1,000 Afghanis were killed in the war. 4,000 people died in the attacks on the world trade center, plus over a hundred more in combat in Afghanistan. So, from their perspective, what we did to them should seem like nothing, not to mention the fact that we LIBERATED THEIR COUNTRY from harsh rule.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:24 pm

Once again, I'm not debating anything here. Its just MY view. And since when are all muslims bad? Thats the kind of XPBackfire-esque that starts racial wars.

I won't post anymore in this topic to avoid more debate.

Edit: a little less than 3000 people died on 9/11 and nearly 14751 civilians have died in iraq. Nearly 3,800 Afghans died between 7 October and 7 December.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Ahh sorry, my sources said different, I didn't do THAT extensive of a google search. Also, I never said Muslims are bad. At all. I just said they believe in eye-for-an-eye. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. But this topic is getting into politics, lock time!
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.